Sealing the Speidel Plastic Fermenter - 120L / 31.7 gal

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m reaching out to the collective to see if anyone has experience using the Speidel 120L fermenter. It’s the one with the large lid and the cheesy banding strap. I decided to pick up three of these for a project I have going right now and planned on using them for MLF.

In advance of using them, I used StarSan to sanitize. As per normal, I dropped in a cup or so, swished it around and liquid flew everywhere. Clearly I didn’t seal the lid properly. I looked all over the manufacturer website, YouTube and general google searches and I can find no tutorial - NO information - related to using these.

Does anyone use these with success?

I have used the Speidel storage tanks with a 6” lid with satisfaction. However, the 13” lid with the banding strap has me concerned.

I’m reaching out to the collective to see if anyone has experience using the Speidel 120L fermenter. It’s the one with the large lid and the cheesy banding strap. I decided to pick up three of these for a project I have going right now and planned on using them for MLF.

In advance of using them, I used StarSan to sanitize. As per normal, I dropped in a cup or so, swished it around and liquid flew everywhere. Clearly I didn’t seal the lid properly. I looked all over the manufacturer website, YouTube and general google searches and I can find no tutorial - NO information - related to using these.

Does anyone use these with success?

I have used the Speidel storage tanks with a 6” lid with satisfaction. However, the 13” lid with the banding strap has me concerned.

I have a 120L Speidel. The rubber seal (giant O ring) is a pain. Make sure you are seating the seal in the lid properly. You need to make sure you push the lid down fully before sealing with the strap. However, I don't think I have ever used to the banding strap during a fermentation because of how cumbersome it is. I Honestly, I have only used for primary and rack into demi/carboys for ML.

Of note, be careful using Stan San on the giant O ring seal. It is a type a rubber that reacts with Star San and created a sulfery smell (not the fermetation). I only use K meta soln to sanitize the lid and rubber O ring.

Last thing, it does seem to insulate the must quite well. 2 years ago, I had a fermentation (using D254) got away from me (it got >95 F and stressed the yeast). This was in a basement with ambient temps of 64 F 3-4 punches a day and sanitized frozen 1 gallon water jugs to help cool. I think the taller design and thicker HDPE plastic definitely insulates more.

We have used that unit to ferment white wine. The seal is a pain and a bit of hit or miss. Most successful approach we found is to have one person put down pressure on the cover while the other closes the Band clamp. Not a great set up, but once closed / clamped, it does hold.

I have the 60L version of the wide topped tank, and honestly, I never had issues with a good seal. But to get a good seal one must really snap the lid hard into place, and to remove it is a difficult, as one must really pull hard on the lid tabs. The screw top barrels are easier to work with, but the small hole on the larger barrels makes cleaning them more difficult.

The band is easy to engage if the lid is on correctly, and one can even tip over the barrel and roll it with the band on and a screw cap (but not with the band off).

Latest posts

Back