Scuppernong Update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellijaywinemaker

Reaction score
Just moved my wine to the secondary sg around 1.000 after 5 days. Looking pretty good has a sulfer smell but it will go away. looks like it will be a light rosie color. :db

Sounds goo, did you use any nutrient or energizer on this and what yeast did you use?

Just moved my wine to the secondary sg around 1.000 after 5 days. Looking pretty good has a sulfer smell but it will go away. looks like it will be a light rosie color. :db

Sounds super. After secondary, when you rack, splash rack the wine and that sulfur smell will dissipate. After you degas, you should be clear of that smell for good. However, anytime you rack after that, if you still notice some of that bad smell, splash rack it. The slight risk of oxidation is not nearly as bad as drinking rotten smelling wine.

Here is my whole recipe
8 gals scuppernong
2 gal muscadine
2.5 gal water
yeast nutrant
potassiam sorbate
3.3 light malt extract
1 LBS Sugar
yeast cote de blance
starting sg 1.070:u

What will the malt add to the end flavor? and keep us updated, this sounds Good!

I am hoping that scents malt extract does not ferment completely that it will have a slite malty taste on the finish. I plan to backsweeten this with orange blossom honey to make a light sweet wine. I have never made it this way but I hope it turns out tasty. :sp

I have a question how do I get all the wine I can from this wine it has a 3 in deep layer of grape muck at the bottom even after transfering through cheese cloth.:rn

The only thing I can think to do would be to let that sediment pack down some before racking. I don't know that there is anything elso you can do. :fsh

Just sweetened today has to be the best scuppernong I have evr made very fruity and sweet oh so good.

Back