Scottish n00b

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deesloop

Junior
Reaction score
Hi all.
Was bought a wine making kit and must say it was not too shabby if a little bit chemically tasting.
Now I've got the bug and need help and advice to improve so here I am :)

Hi deesloop, and wecome to a fine hobby and a great forum. I am an expat Scot , myself, (born in Glasgow and lived for 5 years in Aberdeen while attending a grad program at the uni there).
Hard to offer any advice to improve your wine making skills other than to suggest that you continue to make more kits and /or you make country wines or meads. Kits are usually manufactured so that they can be made successfully by people who have never made a wine before. The raw materials included - from the juice to the fining agents have all been tested and the acidity and tannins and sugar content is delivered to you.
That said, that the kit may have a chemical taste may have nothing to do with anything you did although if you use metal containers rather than glass or you use plastics that might out-gas then it's possible that you own this off flavor but it's possible that if you bought a low end kit the chemically taste is coming from the materials the manufacturer used. Of course, if you could identify the chemical flavor- is it like burnt matches or like rotten eggs then that may have a lot more to do with you and the stresses the yeast experienced. Other off flavors can be caused by volatile acids and those can be reduced by monitoring the temperature at which you make the wine and your use of sulfur dioxide to inhibit oxidation.

Back