Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score

Johnd

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about these corks. It appears to be a trade secret with Scott there is not much info about them. I was told they are grade 2 natural good for 5-12 years. If you have nothing good to say please don't respond. I bought 1000 and don't want to feel bad about the purchase. LOL!

https://scottlab.com/closures/sterisun-wash-cork-1-3-4-45x24-mm-45ster?returnurl=/closures/
If they actually look like the ones in the picture, I'd say they're pretty good corks. Looks like you got the 1-3/4" size, so that's a plus as well. Store your bottles in the right environment and laid down horizontal, and my bet is that you don't have any issues at all with them.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
What grade did you buy, the link allows you to select. I've been using Scott Labs corks for years, the 1-3/4" UF Sterisun grade is what I've been purchasing by the 1,000. Not cheap, but very good corks from my experience.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Main thing when buying from someone else other than a cork producer/distributer is how old are the corks? How long have they been sitting around in the warehouse under who knows what conditions. These at least show a 3 day lead time and produced as ordered. Should be fresh. Post some pics once you have them in hand.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
Here is a link to the Scott Cork quality and marketing page.
https://scottlab.com/cork-independence

Just for comparison, here is a photo of the 1-3/4 UF Sterisun grade, probably 350 to 400 left in the bag, which will be used in the next couple of months bottling 70 gallons of 2017 Cab blends. I pulled out a random sample so you can see some variation between corks. I keep them sealed in the original bag in the temperature controlled cellar, they go into the bottle like butter.

Corks UF Grade.JPG

Last edited:

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
What grade did you buy, the link allows you to select. I've been using Scott Labs corks for years, the 1-3/4" UF Sterisun grade is what I've been purchasing by the 1,000. Not cheap, but very good corks from my experience.
I guess I got the lowest grade, the UFB5's. They are natural cork and look very nice but are the lowest grade. I didn't see the selection.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This is just a WAG as Scott is listed as one of the sponsors on the Cork Quality Council but perhaps they are all different (sub) grades of "B" for the most part with the exception of the pure UF perhaps it is an "A" grade as it is the most expensive of them all.

stickman

Veteran Winemaker
Reaction score
There are actually 10 grades listed which includes 4 above the UF grade. This is the first year that Scott has pricing and shopping on the website, previously you had to call for a price list and to place an order. I have stacks of information on winemaking and supplies etc., but couldn't find anything on Scott Labs corks.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
There are actually 10 grades listed which includes 4 above the UF grade. This is the first year that Scott has pricing and shopping on the website, previously you had to call for a price list and to place an order. I have stacks of information on winemaking and supplies etc., but couldn't find anything on Scott Labs corks.
That's kind of exactly my point. There is no specific information to be found on their corks. They seem to be very protective of their product, similar to what's in juice buckets.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
That's kind of exactly my point. There is no specific information to be found on their corks. They seem to be very protective of their product, similar to what's in juice buckets.
Thinking of applying for a marketing management consultant position over at Scott’s Labs. Gotta tighten up some things there! You don’t need a degree in corks to know how to go about selling them.

mainshipfred

WMT Supporter
Reaction score
Thinking of applying for a marketing management consultant position over at Scott’s Labs. Gotta tighten up some things there! You don’t need a degree in corks to know how to go about selling them.
I think you are going to have to create that department, it doesn't appear they even have one.