Scaling up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Physical capability isn’t an issue but I’m all about working smart rather than hard. No point in wrecking yourself.
Exactly. I have a small carpeted dolly for moving primary's and carboys around. I'm working on adapting a small lift cart to lift higher and faster.

Had I waited a couple of weeks to find this I wouldn't need to make any mods to the one I bought. I'd rather spend some money over time healing or cleaning up a mess.
1656175359746.png

Last year I invested in 3 Seidel variable capacity stainless tanks, 110L (27 gallons) each. The beauty of these is that I can go the full 27 gallons full, or less. I have 3 corresponding 55 gallon plastic drums for primary fermentation and then press into the tanks. I started with 5 gallons in a single carboy then graduated to 6, 6 gallon carboys. I think this is about as large as I want to get. I am thinking of investing in used oak (neutral) barrels to handle storage. Like @winemaker81 says, it is about what you can handle, physically and psychologically. How many of us have spent untold hours worry about leaving our wine on the lees too long, or stuck fermentation, or... (fill in the blank).

It comes down to what you want, how much wine you drink, how long you age it, and your physical capabilities. It all depends on you.

For me, batches smaller than 5 gallons don't last long enough to normally be worth my time. Port wine kits are the exception, as I bottle in 375 ml bottles and they last for years. For whites and quicker drinking reds, 5 to 6 gallons is good. For long aging reds, anything under 10 gallons is too little.

Physical capabilities is critical. I'm a notch from 60 and can still lift a 6 US gallon carboy confidently. But the handwriting is on the wall, this will end. Pumping wine will become a requirement, not an option.
I vacuum transfer,no lifting involved,quick and easy

That’s a lot of carboys! If I get to full production with 75 to 100 vines I think I’ll be looking at a wooden barrel or two for aging.
I have a couple smaller barrels I was looking to get some more this year but am running into barrel supply shortages and can’t seem to find any in stock anywhere

Latest posts

Back