Saying Hello

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
Hi all,

Have been making my own wine for almost a year now. Thought it might be good to join a forum to share ideas and questions.

Thanks
Sean

Jump right in. The more the merrier.

Welcome to the forum!

So what wines have you made so far?

Hi bkisel,

Ive made a Shiraz, a Malbec and just finished a batch of Merlot. The Malbec turned out better than I hoped. My remaining Malbec was mixed in with the new batch of Merlot in various proportions to see how it turns out.

Ive also tried a banana wine, that was a disaster. A tea wine that wasnt too bad but a little too tanic. Ive also just finished a cherry wine that im waiting for it to clear and age a little.

Ive definitely found that going for the better kits makes a big difference. I like the ones that come with seeds and skins as I like wine with more body.

Hi bkisel,

Ive made a Shiraz, a Malbec and just finished a batch of Merlot. The Malbec turned out better than I hoped. My remaining Malbec was mixed in with the new batch of Merlot in various proportions to see how it turns out.

Ive also tried a banana wine, that was a disaster. A tea wine that wasnt too bad but a little too tanic. Ive also just finished a cherry wine that im waiting for it to clear and age a little.

Ive definitely found that going for the better kits makes a big difference. I like the ones that come with seeds and skins as I like wine with more body.

What happened with the banana wine? I just got my first batch into bulk aging. It does have a haze but otherwise the wine seems okay to this point.

Hello mate. This forum has some really great ideas for tweaking those rubbish kits into a brilliantly smashing finished product costing only a few quid. It's right detailed and quite a bit of info. Look up "tweaking cheap kits" and you'll be busy reading for a bloody long time.
--hope my English lingo made for a comforting welcome.

Last edited:
@bkisel
I think it was my fault. Was the first country wine i made and one of my first batches in general. I think there could have been some cleanliness issues. Im going to give it another go once ive got some some head space and a free demijohn!

@Ajmassa
Thanks for the warm welcome. I am a Canadian living in the UK presently. Been here long enough to understand every word. Ill definitely search tweaking cheap kits. I bet theres a load of good tips in there.

Back