Say CHEESE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gosh, it is funny that you post that right now. I was preparing to post the current offering that I have open. (More in a minute.)

Yes, I enjoy feta. For me, it is more of a summertime thing, but I didn't have much (any?) this summer.

But, my current cheese that is open is like a feta, but from France. I had never heard of Valbreso before, but it is feta-adjacent :) . It is from one of the large cheese conglomerates (Président) in Europe.

Valbreso-Feta-French-White-Cheese-9.jpg
yep the feta around here is from President. leaned the hard way, to never over indulge with feta. which also makes a killer Greek Salad
Dawg

do any of yawl use feta cheese ?
I love feta, especially the Bulgarian brand that's available in a local Mediterranean market.

I admit I buy the large packs at Costco for making spanakopita, spinach pie. The cheese is not as good as the Bulgarian, but it works in the pie.

I need to locate my recipe for spinach brownies. Yup, spinach brownies. [same ingredients as regular brownies, except substitute spinach, onion, and feta for the chocolate and sugar.]

We have been eating tons of it this Summer since we found the perfect way to keep up with my cherry mater and fresh basil production for the first time using the TikTok Baked Feta and Cherry Tomato recipe. Our local grocery store Smith's (Kroger) no longer carries any block feta since the pandemic started only crumbles which are NOT the same. Was having to go to Santa fe (Sprouts or Natural Grocer's) for block feta for a while until I found Costco (always to the rescue). (4) 7oz blocks for $10 packed in brine. Use one block and just place back into the fridge. No worries about mold or going bad when stored in brine.

The 4 pack at Costco basically cost the same as a single block of feta from the small heath food stores............

1634912603699.png

Yes, I enjoy feta. For me, it is more of a summertime thing, but I didn't have much (any?) this summer.

I love feta, especially the Bulgarian brand that's available in a local Mediterranean market.

I admit I buy the large packs at Costco for making spanakopita, spinach pie. The cheese is not as good as the Bulgarian, but it works in the pie.

I need to locate my recipe for spinach brownies. Yup, spinach brownies. [same ingredients as regular brownies, except substitute spinach, onion, and feta for the chocolate and sugar.]

Hmmm. What POSSIBLY could be substituted for spinach that would make those brownies very popular? Hmmm...

Truffle is like crack cocaine for me. 😍

The TJ truffle tasted like mozzarella with truffle and garlic in it. It created an unfortunate gastric condition today but was delicious last night! Let me tell ya, there is nothing like being on a tractor 25 acres away from a toilet when you urgently need one. 🤣 Anyway, I made it.

the President Feta cheese is not near as good as i used to get on the east coast, on the east coast i went to Greeks,
Dawg

Nice! I love Cambozola. In fact, I have been meaning to take a pic and post my Cambozola Black Label for a few days now. You have shamed me into it!

View attachment 80342

Mine was the first cheese I've ever actually thrown away after eating just two pieces. There were moments of it tasting like what the cheese might actually be like, but it had a transient funky, highly repulsive off-taste, even after I removed a healthy portion of the rind. I couldn't hack that. Another disappointing Trader Joe purchase. I'm going back to my usual cheese haunts from here on out.

Mine was the first cheese I've ever actually thrown away after eating just two pieces. There were moments of it tasting like what the cheese might actually be like, but it had a transient funky, highly repulsive off-taste, even after I removed a healthy portion of the rind. I couldn't hack that. Another disappointing Trader Joe purchase. I'm going back to my usual cheese haunts from here on out.

Damn, that sux. Mine is lovely!

And today's offering is a Boucheron goat cheese. Due to ambiguities/inconsistencies on the label, I am honestly not sure if this is the Boucheron from the Loire Valley in France (Bucheron - Wikipedia ) or a Wisconsin take on this: ( culture: the word on cheese)

Bucheron
BUCHERON® CHEESE
The ivory-colored Montchevre® Bucheron® Cheese is well known for offering the taste and texture of two cheeses in one. This cheese usually matures for 5-10 weeks, resulting in a dense center and gooey cream line rich in flavor with discreet earthy undertones; truly a delectable blend filled with the flavors of Montchevre® cheese high quality fresh goat's milk. The beautiful rind on the Montchevre® Bucheron® Cheese makes it the perfect centerpiece for a cheese board; however, it is also delicious melted into a quiche, on a crostini or on your favorite steak.

IMG_2618.JPG

A friend came over for dinner the other day, and brought this. It is a Saint Agur bleu cheese (which, of course, I had never heard of). Wikipedia tells me that it is a double-cream cheese, not as strong as a typical bleu. I will say that I have to agree. This was very pleasant; tangy, but not overpowering.

IMG_2624.JPG

Back