Say CHEESE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight's cheese is Tomme de Savoie, a mild, soft cow's milk cheese, in this case made by France's Herve Mons.

View attachment 78849

Mmm... A lovely, light nutty and mushroomy flavor...
Mons is one of the best cheese makers in France! They have a boutique in my wife’s hometown that we always stop by several times when we go to visit family, though I only have a picture of the St Marcellin I picked up on our visit this summer. Where did you find their cheese in the US?
1CBFFFF2-D1EC-46AC-BCB5-9C25A6D5A49D.jpeg

Mons is one of the best cheese makers in France! They have a boutique in my wife’s hometown that we always stop by several times when we go to visit family, though I only have a picture of the St Marcellin I picked up on our visit this summer. Where did you find their cheese in the US?
View attachment 79108

That corkscrew!!! 😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰🤩😍🤩😍🤩😍🤩

That corkscrew!!! 😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰😍🥰🤩😍🤩😍🤩😍🤩
Lol. That was my wife’s father’s. Whenever we go to France I always forget to bring my waiter’s friend so I’ve had to learn how to use that one. It makes a nice satisfying pop when the cork exits that I was conditioned to avoid by the wine manager at my first restaurant gig.

View attachment 79108

Whole Foods

Ahhh, after nibbling on odds and ends for a few days to clean things up, I now am delighted to try another Herve Mons cheese, Gabietou. From Pau in the Pyrenees region of France, it's semi-soft and made with a blend of raw cow and sheep milks. The cheese is aged for 3-5 months, during which time the rind is washed with a water and salt brine. I see reviewers call it a "love it or hate it" cheese. Some detest the smell. We shall soon see!

IMG_2405.JPG

Mmmm.... OK, I like it quite a bit and it goes well with a good cab. Wonderfully soft and meltable in the mouth. But I also can see how some people may pick up on a portion of the flavor profile and hate it. Grab some and see what you think!

Last edited:
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

The job of vitamin K2 is to distribute calcium where it is needed in the body. And, if we do have calcification of the arteries from eating too much carbohydrate and sugar, then K2 helps clear that away. The only problem is, we have now virtually eliminated vitamin K2 from our diet. The best sources are fatty animal foods such as grass-fed butter, egg yolks from pastured chickens, and fatty cheeses like Gouda, Brie and Camembert; all foods that have been demonized.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT

The job of vitamin K2 is to distribute calcium where it is needed in the body. And, if we do have calcification of the arteries from eating too much carbohydrate and sugar, then K2 helps clear that away. The only problem is, we have now virtually eliminated vitamin K2 from our diet. The best sources are fatty animal foods such as grass-fed butter, egg yolks from pastured chickens, and fatty cheeses like Gouda, Brie and Camembert; all foods that have been demonized.
Demonized, maybe by some. But still on my list of everyday favorites. I ooze vitamin K12! 😁

Back