Say CHEESE!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aldi's club crackers sprinkled with Food Lion 3 cheese shredded cheddar blend, nuked for 25 seconds, served with an off-dry Chenin Blanc.

View attachment 79732

I miss Food Lion. We used to have one in our lil town I loved, but Walmart built a Supercenter and drove it out. On the cheddar, wifie went nuts and bought two big blocks of sharp, then found she could not eat it without reacting to it. Soooo, guess who gets to be the garbage gut? LOL, it will go green before I get it all consumed. But I'm nibbling away.

The processed foods many or most people consume today are actually predigested, engineered foods and drinks with flavors tweaked to cause a desire to consume more of the product. That's the food industry making itself more money by creating a form of temporary addiction.

Alcohol consumption carries a whole list of known possible negative consequences, while conferring a smaller list of possible benefits if overall consumption is light. (The link does work.)

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1111/j.1365-2796.2009.02082.x
But it's MILK that's bad for ya, right? 🤣

The thing is that few - if any - drink alcohol for the health benefits but many drink milk precisely because they believe that there are health benefits and that any cost (fat, caloric etc) is by far outweighed by the benefits. So alcohol and milk are not part of the same "health register" . Apples and oranges.

I miss Food Lion. We used to have one in our lil town I loved, but Walmart built a Supercenter and drove it out. On the cheddar, wifie went nuts and bought two big blocks of sharp, then found she could not eat it without reacting to it. Soooo, guess who gets to be the garbage gut? LOL, it will go green before I get it all consumed. But I'm nibbling away.
According to the Mayo Clinic, you can just cut the mold off hard cheeses like cheddar. :p

I may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. :rolleyes:

Huh? I go even farther. I used to cut the mold off a hard cheese, but I learned from a cheese monger that you can just wash the mold off hard cheeses. And I am, somehow, still alive!

Huh? I go even farther. I used to cut the mold off a hard cheese, but I learned from a cheese monger that you can just wash the mold off hard cheeses. And I am, somehow, still alive!

"I may have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night" is another way of saying, I AM NOT STUPID, as you think I am.

"I may have been born at night, but it wasn't LAST night" is another way of saying, I AM NOT STUPID, as you think I am.

I am well aware of that idiom.

I took your use of the idiom to mean that you disbelieved @bstnh1 's solution, viz., to cut the mold off.
I further assumed that was because you felt that once moldy, it was no longer edible. But perhaps that is not what you meant.

I am well aware of that idiom.

I took your use of the idiom to mean that you disbelieved @bstnh1 's solution, viz., to cut the mold off.
I further assumed that was because you felt that once moldy, it was no longer edible. But perhaps that is not what you meant.

Sitting in front of the computer monitor, once again misunderstanding of intent. Unfortunately happens all the time.

Gee, I thought I was simply passing along some information regarding mold on hard cheeses that JSWordy might not have been aware of. I did not intend to insult anyone's intelligence. :slp After all, if I knew what knowledge was in everyone's head on this forum, I'd be a wealthy man!

Give me some credit for having lived and learned a couple years, huh? I mean, really, lol. I don't know anyone who doesn't know that you can slice the mold from cheese and use the rest. Seriously. Some finicky people might be grossed out about it, but this practice is really common knowledge among even the most neophyte cooks.

Anyway, tonight it is Chateau Clos du Roy and Colston Bassett Stilton, which was first served in 1720. This is a fine buttery cheese with an interesting, clean mineral taste.

Screen Shot 2021-10-12 at 6.00.14 PM.png

Give me some credit for having lived and learned a couple years, huh? I mean, really, lol. I don't know anyone who doesn't know that you can slice the mold from cheese and use the rest.

Fair enough!

Some finicky people might be grossed out about it, but this practice is really common knowledge among even the most neophyte cooks.

Agreed.

The notion of just washing off the mold, I hate to admit, was new to me (as of about 15 years ago).

Actually, I can't remember the last time I had a glass of milk. I have it on some shredded wheat once in a while, but that's about it.
I can remember exactly when I drank my last glass of milk. I always hated milk, detested it, would never drink it as a kid. In August of 1966 I was in Peace Corps training and spent 2 weeks living with a family of native Canadians in Shefferville, northern Québec. I didn't speak their native tongue and they didn't speak French or English. One evening they served a magnificent caribou stew along with a big glass of milk. I held my breathe and forced the milk down my throat. I just didn't think it would be polite or proper to let it sit there undrunk.

I can remember exactly when I drank my last glass of milk. I always hated milk, detested it, would never drink it as a kid. In August of 1966 I was in Peace Corps training and spent 2 weeks living with a family of native Canadians in Shefferville, northern Québec. I didn't speak their native tongue and they didn't speak French or English. One evening they served a magnificent caribou stew along with a big glass of milk. I held my breathe and forced the milk down my throat. I just didn't think it would be polite or proper to let it sit there undrunk.

I HEAR YA! I hate to just sit there undrunk, myself.

One thing about that Colston Bassett Stilton... It is very strong. It's been a long time since I last had it, and I had forgotten how strong it is. I looked it up and it is recommended with port. I don't like port. :D Anyhow, it is gonna be "concentrated cow" strong if you try it, so maybe try a small piece first. The flavor actually reminds me of how dairymen used to smell when they came into my small-town store after morning milking, and that opened up a lot of pleasant memories. It is made exclusively from the milk of cows from just five neighboring farms. The blue roquefort in it is penicillium caused, which may explain why I feel so great today after eating a few small pieces last night. :)

Great! Take pix. Share them here.

Not being a foodie, I do not take photos of the food I eat.

But I can provide a list of the cheese I like to eat with the wines I make from my vineyards if interested.

Do note: Living in the Hungarian countryside, my commercial cheese options are very limited (Hungary does not have much of a cheese culture), and would include a lot of locally made cheeses from local artisans not available elsewhere. Mostly goat cheese.

Latest posts

Back