Saving VP41

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonObvious

Reaction score
Long story, but I think I need to use VP41 malolactic bacteria, each packet of which seems to cost upwards of $35 and treats 36 gallons. I only need enough for 6 gallons, so I'm wondering if A) Anybody knows of a way to buy it in smaller quantities, or B) A way to store the unused portion for future use. My gut would tell me to wrap it tightly in a sandwich baggie and put it in the fridge, but maybe there's a better way? Advice appreciated!

Long story, but I think I need to use VP41 malolactic bacteria, each packet of which seems to cost upwards of $35 and treats 36 gallons. I only need enough for 6 gallons, so I'm wondering if A) Anybody knows of a way to buy it in smaller quantities, or B) A way to store the unused portion for future use. My gut would tell me to wrap it tightly in a sandwich baggie and put it in the fridge, but maybe there's a better way? Advice appreciated!

It treats 66 gallons and that’s the smallest packing I’ve ever seen, I’ve always understood that once opened, it needs to be used. If you choose to try to save it, try sealing airtight and storing in the freezer, I don’t know if that will work or not....

That is the smallest packing available- in my experience. I’ve vacuum sealed it and placed in the freezer. Still worked well one year later

I've used CH16 several times over a few months. I fold over the opened end of the packet and put the packet into a vacuum sealer pouch and seal that. Then into the freezer.
When you take it out of the freezer let it come up to room temperature BEFORE you open it. Otherwise condensation immediately forms on the granules creating a sticky mess.

Last edited:
I'll also split mine between 3 or 4 batches. It's nice to have an accurate scale since you only dealing with 2.5 grams.

I normally mix up the whole starter, water, MLB, and ActiML, which ends up around 300ml, and split up the liquid. Much easier than those little bitty gram splittings.

@mainshipfred once posted about volunteer work at a local winery and learning that they also reseal and reuse their malolactic bacteria the next year.
So— the manufacturers say cannot be reused as a lability I suppose. But large batches that can become a hefty investment, and needing the ML inoculated at a soecific time for best results- it wouldn’t be worth the risk IMO

And I’m in the same boat as everyone else too. Hydrating with full 50g pack of ACTIml in a measuring cup and proportionately adding to multiple batches by mL.

I may have misspoken. I don't think they use it the following year rather once they open it for say an early harvest white it's resealed and used throughout the season for the later harvests.

I never thought of bulk hydrating the ACTI. When I do it in individual doses it's really hard to have the proper temp prior to adding the MLB.

Latest posts

Back