Sauvignon Blanc limping along at 12 weeks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buttonsrtoys

Reaction score
I started a batch of Eclipse Sauv Blanc in mid march (12 weeks ago). Its an 8-week kit and got stuck about a couple weeks into fermentation at a SG of 1.01. It was stuck for maybe two weeks. I pitched some more yeast, but that didn't do anything. I went to the local seller and he gave me some nutrient. That got things started again, but very slowly. After a few weeks it got down to 1.005. Now, 12 weeks into the process its at 1.000.

I put it on a heat pad when I gave it the nutrients, so temp doesn't seem to be a problem. I've also been stirring it occasionally. I'm using an S-shaped airlock, and you can see how slowly it percolates in my video here: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbxhWAySJq0[/ame].

At this rate, I'll be at 0.995 at 20 weeks?! The seller will exchange the kit. Should I go that route or is there hope for this kit?

That doesn't look right, at all. Kits shouldn't take that kind of time. Are you sure your SG readings were correct, at 20 weeks and your carboy that low it already looks oxidized to me. I'd ask for a replacement.
Good Luck!
Mike

Thank Kraffty. For my own clarification, it's at 12 weeks, not 20. Do you thoughts still apply?

Id lean towards those bubbles in your airlock being Co2 being released as you said you just stirred it, not fermentation. Ive never had a kit take more than 7-8 days to reach .995 or lower, i bet the yeast that came with the kit was half dead, sometimes i look at the production date on the kit and if its more than 6 months ill just ask the kit dealer for new yeast. If fermentation stalled out at 1.005 it would need some encouragement to get going again at that high of abv. Pitching new yeast in there alone might not start ot back up. Probly need to hydrate the yeast in a measuring cup with some yeast energizer and slowly feed your must into the measuring cup for a couple hours and then pitch it into your must. I wouldnt throw that batch away yet, go get your new warranty batch and try to salvage that one, as long as it had co2 cap it shouldnt be that badly oxidized after 12 weeks

two things...

1. I place zero value on bubbles or the lack there of....really no reliable info there.

2. I know the instructions say seal it up and airlock the carboy. I only do that with beer and then only after I have whipped up a froth trying to get air into the wort. Wine I just cover the primary loosely and STIR it good every day...sometimes twice a day. Since I started doing that, I have not had a slow or stuck fermentation. (and I re-hydrate my yeast every time...because the yeast package says too and then I know the yeast is good)

Started a Trinity White and a White Zin late Sunday....I can hear them sizzling as I type right now. Don't choke them down. After primary...yeah, a good racking and seal up and airlock.

Last edited:
I agree with others here, I would replace the kit and start over. Cloth over primary, stir twice a day and monitor with SG readings daily. You'll know if you have a problem right away if you do this. Stuck ferment is usually bad yeast, too low a temp on the must or too much sugar to start with. Good luck with your second batch!

Latest posts

Back