Sanitizing..,

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rather than starting a whole new discussion -- is it OK to use the Star-San solution in the "bubbler?

Thanks, I'm new here and about to embark on the first try at wine making.

I think the key to do the proper sanitizing process and DRAIN the equipment. If all you have left in the bubbler is some foam, It's highly unlikely to be of sufficient quantity to affect flavor and certainly isn't going to spoil a wine batch.

The idea of tasting it... Sorry but that's just wrong. You are getting the 'pure prepared solution' undiluted with nothing else. Hopefully whomever posted that old comment was joking. The amounts of leftover starsan or any other sanitizer in a properly sanitized and drained container should never affect anything from SG, pH or whatever.

IF you leave a couple of ounces, even that is unlikely to do anything serious to a 5 gallon batch of wine. (2 ozs in 5 gallons is .3 percent (not 3 percent) and that solution is A dilution of 1 ounce to 5 gallons of water, for an effective concentration of 300 ppm (300 parts per million) of dodecylbenzenesulfonic acid.

Yes, as in airlock. The instructions for the kit I am getting say fill the airlock with potassium metabisulphate. But I figured that is just to make sure it is sanitized. So I was wondering if the diluted (not straight) Star-San could be used as the liquid in the airlock. Never thought of using vodka. Not sure if I have any, but I do hav Everclear (I make my own limoncello)

Everclear works. Cheap and high alcohol means it stays free of contamination for longer. Plus, if you get any suckback, no worries as 1) it's clean, and 2) you're making alcohol anyway, and 3) it has no taste.

Rather than starting a whole new discussion -- is it OK to use the Star-San solution in the "bubbler?

Thanks, I'm new here and about to embark on the first try at wine making.
I think K-Meta would be better for the simple fact that it is a ingredient that is purposely added to wine/must. Star San isn't really intended as an ingredient in wine. I don't think that the amount of Star San in a half-full airlock will give you a problem if it inadvertently gets into the carboy. I usually use 100-proof vodka. Lots of people use plain water.

StarSan in the airlock works great. Non-toxic, sanitary, basically free. If any gets in the wine the yeast will metabolize the phosphate.

I do the "down the line' thing with carboys too. Then upend to drain in a milk crate. The residual foam if anything is a bonus.

Considering that everything I've read and been told says that Star-San loses effectiveness after a few days/weeks once mixed, I wouldn't. I just sheepishly buy the cheapest 1.5L bottle of crap vodka at the liquor store and use that.

What you've read -- From Where? Check the Star San site. I've measured my solutions a couple of months after mixing and the pH (The determining factor) was well within the Companies guide lines.

Certainly go with what you feel is best for you. BUT be sure of your sources.

The Manufacture's data sheet should be your guidance:
https://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech-HB2.pdf

Here's a post from someone on a home brew site:
FlyGuy
Calgary, Alberta

Posted Aug 11, 2008

Make it from de-mineralized water (reverse osmosis, distilled) and it will last for months and months. According to the manufacturer, as long as it is clear (not cloudy) and the solution is below a pH of 3.5, it is effective. According to these criteria, I have kept it stored for at least 6 months with no degradation.
Also, if you are sanitizing immaculately clean items, it can be reused over and over with very little degradation. I have a bottling bucket in which I mix up about 4 gals of Star San solution. The tap on the bottom of the bucket is good for dispensing (e.g., to a spray bottle) and the bucket is big enough to dunk most equipment. That stuff is pure magic!
I wouldn't recommend storing much in there (especially not vinyl tubing). Star San reacts with vinyl and nylon over time, and it will degrade the solution and cloud your tubing. It might also make nylon quite brittle. Having said this, some claim to do it with great success.

Latest posts

Back