Sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think about those homes in Texas that got so. Badly infected with black mold that they were essentially gutted. Them insurance companies refused to issue policies in those areas.

A bad mold or bacterial infection in a house is tough to get rid of I do some of my wine making in an unfinished bssebase of a 80 year old house. Not my idea of a great place. In spring I do everything but age it upstairs in a clean kitchen that isn't used as a kitchen.

Last edited:
A bucket with juice, or just a lot of Lee's falls, a bottle slips and breaks on the floor, any number of ways things can end up splashing on walls floors, and even the ceiling. The easier those things are to clean, the less likely it is mold or bacteria to multiply and create problems.

Making basic sanitation practices easier to makes it more likely it gets done.

I always have to wonder why wine making practices of the middle ages are touted as examples of why we are "overly cautious."

I read last night how a single British ship arriving in Norway in 1349 brought with it the Black Death that killed 2/3s of the population. That bacteria was carried by rodents. The history of smaller mass deaths were not always recorded. Stuff happens.
POINT - Thegood old days of wine making might not have been as grand as we think.
We take more precautions now because we know how to and can do so easily.

Last edited:
Making basic sanitation practices easier to makes it more likely it gets done (and finished wine is enjoyed).

I always have to wonder why wine making practices of the middle ages are touted as examples of why we are "overly cautious."

POINT - Thegood old days of wine making might not have been as grand as we think.
We take more precautions now because we know how to and can do so easily.

Controlled fermentation producing alcohol (and sometimes even a great wine) has existed for several millenia. ,,, Wild fermentations producing alcohol have existed longer. ,, , A few years back I saw an article about an anthropologist who observed a troop of drunk monkeys, , , they had discovered some fruit that fermented.

Looking at wine, I find it a gift from God that the grape berry contains what seems to be the ideal pH/ tannin/ sugar/ nitrogen/ vitamin/ yeast/ etc content for making an alcoholic beverage.

Last edited:
Back