Sanitizing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony49

Reaction score
Greetings:
My first two gallon batch of peach wine is now in the primary. (fingers crossed)
I made up a one gallon jug of water and 2 crushed Campden tablets to sanitize by equipment as I use it. Is this a strong enough solution or should I add another tablet or two?
Thanks,
Tony...

I mix mine straight from powder until I indirectly smell the sulfite.

NEVER inhale this. I'll just wave my hand above it and slightly smell.
If you search this sight this is answered. I just don't know.

I make up a mix in a spray bottle so it's always fresh.

2 tablets in one gallon are not enough to sanitize. I mix mine in a quart spray bottle, 2t of K-meta (and 2t of citric acid.
I would not recommend making a full gallon for it will loose potency in time but if you must I would use 35 campden tabs and 3T of acid blend.

1 campden tab is equal to .25t of K-meta

I have recently been turned on to Iodophor. The fumes are a lot less harsh and I can use it for beer as well.

Last edited:
Now you've thrown something new at me. I didn't know you were pose to add acid blend to your k-meta for sanatizing, what's the deal?

Semper Fi

the citric acid helps throw the k-meta into overdrive. I'm not sure what exactly it dose for the sanitizing but I read somewhere on here a while ago about adding citric acid to your k-meta solution and I have done it ever since. I can tell ya that with the addition of it the fumes seems to intensify

Adding citic acid lowers the pH of the water, which makes your kmeta more potent. This means you can use less kmeta to achieve the same level of effectiveness - a very good thing. My LHBS says 1 teaspoon of each per gallon for a no-rinse sanitizing solution, and "The Way to Make Wine" by Warrick (and excellent book, btw) says to increase the kmeta to 2 teaspoons, and that you should rinse with water after using.

Also, it's probably best to not use acid blend because it includes malic acid, which can be an unwanted food source for bacteria. Safer to use citric acid. Google "Add 12 grams of citric or tartaric acid to your sanitizing solution" and you'll find an explanation as to why on the WineMaker Magazine site.

Best,
Jason

Last edited:
Adding citic acid lowers the pH of the water, which makes your kmeta more potent. This means you can use less kmeta to achieve the same level of effectiveness - a very good thing. My LHBS says 1 teaspoon of each per gallon for a no-rinse sanitizing solution, and "The Way to Make Wine" by Warrick (and excellent book, btw) says to increase the kmeta to 2 teaspoons, and that you should rinse with water after using.

Also, it's probably best to not use acid blend because it includes malic acid, which can be an unwanted food source for bacteria. Safer to use citric acid. Google "Add 12 grams of citric or tartaric acid to your sanitizing solution" and you'll find an explanation as to why on the WineMaker Magazine site.

Best,
Jason
I was using Tataric Acid in my K-meta sanitizing solution and found that it clouds the solution after a while and drops out as a fine white powder. I've since switched to citric acid.

2 tablets in one gallon are not enough to sanitize. I mix mine in a quart spray bottle, 2t of K-meta (and 2t of citric acid.
I would not recommend making a full gallon for it will loose potency in time but if you must I would use 35 campden tabs and 3T of acid blend.

1 campden tab is equal to .25t of K-meta

I have recently been turned on to Iodophor. The fumes are a lot less harsh and I can use it for beer as well.
K-meta solution will remain potent for at least 2 months if stored in an airtight container. If the smell is there, it's AOK.

Random sanitizing question... I keep hearing about sanitizing the equipment and tools, but not the environment. What is the best room in the house and the best way to prepare and keep the primary fermentation I'm good shape?

Random sanitizing question... I keep hearing about sanitizing the equipment and tools, but not the environment. What is the best room in the house and the best way to prepare and keep the primary fermentation I'm good shape?

That's a great question. Your best bet is to have a space with all washable surfaces. Avoid carpet and excess wood. Yes, I know we use wood barrels, but that really is different than expose unpainted wood that can get moist and harbor bacteria. You want surfaces that can be kept clean and dry and washed with soap and sanitizers when necessary. Keep any other fermentation away (no vinegar making in the area, no pickle or sauerkraut fermentation near the wine).

Thanks. The only place I know like that would be an unused bathroom, but this would have other issues. Would a bedroom suffice? Can I wipe the walls and floor with the star San? I live out in the county by a lake so there is always a realitive humidity.

All surfaces should be able to be wiped down with sanitizer. A well finished wood floor no problem. Bare wood on walls or floor not so good.

As mentioned normal house rooms should be fine, but of greater concern would be things stored in that room that could impart smells or ''essences" that could ruin a wine. Paint, gasoline. Household cleaning materials.

Got it. It is just a spare bedroom. I think it should do. Typically the warmest room and not fluctuating much. No chemicals or anything just a bed and closest of storage .once in a carboy. I can move it anywhere as there is no air contact. Thanks

Best versus practical - - - wine can be messy
* In the club I am in most people set up their winery in the basement. The areas tend to have water, a floor which can get wet, shelves/ tables on which to have carboys for months on end, reasonable access to get 6 gallon juice pails in, uniform temperature, and maybe a tolerant wife
* one member does almost everything in the garage a few feet from cars and lawnmower, he pulls his crusher destemmer out in the yard to create juice, he has a garden hose to clean up if needed.
* when I took over my mom's equipment I started in the kitchen and stored must/wine in a pantry. Today I have it set up in the basement next to the laundry with floor drain/ sink and a stainless steel work table. I have broken at least one carboy, had things foam over the edge, spilled in bottling, had wine spray out of a bon vino filter, etc so I value cleanable floors/ counters/ and put PVC shower material up on the walls (in the midwest we have basements,, & didn't have that in Texas)
* My mom ran wet operations in the kitchen and used the basement when it was time to put in glass. Grandpa did the same

The common understanding seem to be that we will make a mess at some time so we should be able to clean floor/ counter/ walls. Storage for your fermentor(s) are should have moderate temperature. A prep area should have cleanability similar to a kitchen since juice and fruit will get in places where you don't want it.

* In college, a micro lab would have cleanable counter tops (4 or 5 lab benches) and all the contamination that 20 kids could carry into the lab. The essence of sanitation was to carry things from the autoclave where they are sterile to a work area and only open petri plates/ agar/ innoculation tools when actually in use and then cover the plates/ agar/ test organism again after use. Many things were kept sterile because dirt falls downward.
(ie in a home environment clean pails/ carboys/ bottles and turn em up side down till needed, , , & clean mixers, hygrometers, cylinders etc when used) The point is ability to clean, one club member does his wet prep in a milk house connected to a cow barn and he gets blue ribbons.

Last edited:
For potential spills, like that wine batch put into a carboy a little too soon
.. I have a long clear storage tub the holds a couple of 3 gal carboys . Both could break and empty themselves and nothing would overflow that tub. That sort of container is handy to have around. Think less than $10.00 at Walmart.

Most important things to me are faucet/sink and countertop area in the room.

I've made wine in my basement for more than 7 years - something like 50 or so kits. The area is in my workshop with tools, workbench, etc. I have never sanitized the floor, walls, etc. and have never had a problem. No bad batches. I am, however, very careful about sanitizing all surfaces that come in contact with the must and wine, including my hands. I assume the sulfites I add take care of any random bad guys that may have found their way into the wine. The air around us is loaded with bacteria, mold spores and other gunk. Unless you're in a sealed laboratory with an air purification system, you're going to have some of this stuff floating around wherever you make your wine.

Making my first all grape batch really drove home why some of the more experience/traditional guys are fairly relaxed about sanitizing. By far the dirtiest thing in the whole process was the grapes. So by all means, spend the few extra minutes to sanitize your equipment just in case it matters, but unless you're brewing in a mushroom farm, sanitizing the room is overkill. With its high alcohol content and high acidity, wine is way more forgiving of minor sanitation issues than beer.

Making my first all grape batch really drove home why some of the more experience/traditional guys are fairly relaxed about sanitizing. By far the dirtiest thing in the whole process was the grapes. So by all means, spend the few extra minutes to sanitize your equipment just in case it matters, but unless you're brewing in a mushroom farm, sanitizing the room is overkill. With its high alcohol content and high acidity, wine is way more forgiving of minor sanitation issues than beer.

Yes! That is true. I would want folks, though, not to let sanitation slack just because in almost all cases things would end up just fine. My philosophy is to be as clean and sanitary as I can within reason and not stress out if it isn't perfect. The wine is a preservative in and of itself. Having witnessed many commercial operations that do not rinse or sanitize bottles, that claim to be sterile filtering but then handing the wine through hoses and into tanks and bottles that are not sterilized leads me to believe most (not all) of the time, the wine is fine. SO2 is your friend! The acid, alcohol and SO2 will take care of things 99% of the time.

My recommendation for having a room that is easily washable is not about going over the top, but it is about being able to keep bad bacteria levels lower and keep it clean. Your chances of success increases if you keep bad stuff at bay. There are not many times I would say you would need to douse your whole operation with sanitizers. But spills, etc. and problem spots, maybe.

Latest posts

Back