Sanitizing punch down between 2 types of yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Retter

Junior
Reaction score
First time poster! I have the same merlot grapes fermenting in separate batches with 2 different yeasts. Do I need to keep washing down/sanitizing my punch down tool before going to the 2nd batch to keep from that yeast mixing? or is the juice on the punch down so little the yeast would get overcome?
Thanks!

I never bother. I don't know if that means I have a problem or not. My assumption is that any small amount of yeast that gets from one batch to the next would be quickly overcome. If it isn't, that just means I'm adding complexity. In your case, that probably isn't what you want though.

I never bother. I don't know if that means I have a problem or not. My assumption is that any small amount of yeast that gets from one batch to the next would be quickly overcome. If it isn't, that just means I'm adding complexity. In your case, that probably isn't what you want though.

I pretty much handle the same as Jim. I've got a ferment going right now on Cab with both D254 and BM4x4, just move the punchdown tool between fermenters without worrying about it. Can't say that I know exactly what's happening biologically when one does that, but suspect it's immaterial..........

If you were able to see the aerosol generated by the foaming must during the punchdown, you'd realize that cross contamination is occurring, like it or not, sanitized tool or not, microscopic droplets of must containing yeast floating all around the room.

Latest posts

Back