sanitizing my equipment what is best product

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know for sure which is the best product for sanitizing and cleansing? I have been using sodium metabisulfite but wanted to eliminate the need for rinsing. I recently bought a tub of one step, after that is was lead to believe it does not have very long storage time. ie. mix a batch do the work throw it away. and that it isn't a very good sanitizer. can anyone give me some advice on what to try or if one step is an acceptable product.

Hello and welcome to the forum Mustbeerackin2

Also use sodium metabisulphate, however I don't rinse it.

one step isn't available here , so can't comment on that product sorry.

Allie

Everyone has a different opinion on this. If you search the archives, you'll find a TON of info on this.

One note I can add, though, is that you shouldn't have to rinse a sodium metabisulfite solution. If you are concerned about the sodium, many use potasium metabisulfite instead.

I will clean my products with B-Brite first, then I'll use Potassium Meta. I do rinse wth cool water then use immediately. Never had a problem.

I bought 3 squirt bottles awhile ago. They hang on the side of my utility sink.

#1 is soapy water solution-basic cleaning with hot water rinse, (sometimes I'll add a pinch of bleach with the hot water). Then I'll rinse.

#2 is B-Brite with a little water-better cleaning and sanitizing. Then I'll rinse.

#3 is Pot. Meta. with a little water-Sanitizing. Then I'll rinse.

They are quart size squirt bottles and will last awhile. When I know they are fading I'll make more.

It should go without saying you are dealing with chemicals that are deadly if misused. Always pay attention to your surroundings and never mix chemicals together unless directed to do so!

there is no need to rinse when using k or Na meta. Actually you could just be introducing bacteria back by doing that. Just let it drip out so that most of it is out. what little bit that will be left will be fine.

Okay Okay! I just bottled some plum wine this morning and after I scrubbed my bottles with hot (OWWWWW) soapy water w/bleach, I rinsed then sanitized them with Pot. Meta. solution and I didn't rinse. Hope your proud of me wade!

For the record let me be perfectly clear....."I did not inhale"

The plum is wonderful now. My wife can't wait another 6 months but I'll hold my ground.

Okay Okay! I just bottled some plum wine this morning and after I scrubbed my bottles with hot (OWWWWW) soapy water w/bleach, I rinsed then sanitized them with Pot. Meta. solution and I didn't rinse. Hope your proud of me wade!

For the record let me be perfectly clear....."I did not inhale"

The plum is wonderful now. My wife can't wait another 6 months but I'll hold my ground.

SO WHAT IF WADE TOLD YOU TO JUMP IN THE LAKE!!:tz:db:tz:db:db:tz:r

Latest posts

Back