Sanitizing Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donz

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys do this? My wine shop says to soak them in water with sulfite before bottling... I guess the corks are wet as you cork them in the bottle?

I wonder if this is really needed...

Not needed. I keep mine in a 5 gallon bucket with an open bottle of kmeta in it. We call it a corkador. We ting them breaks down the kmeta that's already on them. If you must wet them then a quick spritz of kmeta solution ( 1 tablespoon per gallon) is all that's recommended

Not only unnecessary, but you may be damaging the cork by breaking down the glue holding it together.

Use a 'corkidor' - a bucket containing an open bottle with KMeta in it. Pour your corks around the bottle and snap the lid down. This will keep them sanitized and in a somewhat humid environment.

Agree with what has been said so far. I use to dip mine in sanitizer before using and I had leakage, since I stopped that none of my corks are leaking.

So the kmeta is put in water into an open bottle and then into a bucket that has a closure top? Think I get it...

I'll go against the flow and say that I rinse all of my corks in k meta solution before using. Note that I said rinse, not soak.

The k meta solution will be coffee brown by the time I rinse 30 or so corks and that is dirt and dust and broken down cork bits and glue that I don't really want in my wine.

Never had a corking issue...so far.

So the kmeta is put in water into an open bottle and then into a bucket that has a closure top? Think I get it...

Yes. For the k-meta solution I use a plastic jar that has its lid drilled with a half dozen holes or so.

Oh, and watch where your nose is when you pop the lid off the bucket.

Last edited:
Have been using our salad spinner! Little bit of kmeta in bottom basket holds the corks.
But I too like idea of using open jar in bucket!

+1 to a corkidor. I once, just so slightly, dipped the corks in a kmeta solution before i bottled. Later, after i was done bottling, i checked the bottles and found about 1/2 of the corks were pushing back up. Made a corkidor, never had my corks touch any liquid from that day on and never had a problem since.

Latest posts

Back