- Nov 5, 2006
- Reaction score
- Raleigh, NC, USA
Bottle shock is real, but it doesn't happen all the time, maybe 25% in my experience. Enough that I don't touch bottles for a few months. But that's a good idea, in general.maybe it’s me—- but i’ve never noticed this mysterious bottle shock i always read about.
I used to know a dozen or so winery owners in the Finger Lakes of NY. More than a few laughed at the extremes home winemakers went to, in various areas. It's easy to take what we're told at face value. I did that, and had to unlearn a lot of things over the years. This is why I try to explain why I do things, so others can make informed decisions.Cleanliness isn't taken lightly but also isn't taken to the extremes we are taught to do.
I've been cleaning, sanitizing, and storing bottles, then doing nothing extra at bottling since ~1990. I've never had a bad bottle that can be attributed to anything beyond the cork, although I've had a few batches go bad. [If there is a lot of rain before harvest, enough that grapes are bursting on the vine and yellow jackets are feasting, DO NOT try to pick the good berries. There aren't any ...]Are you willing to make a few batches with no sanitization and document the results? I'm not.
Excellent point.We all can make our own choice about the tradeoffs between safety and extra cost or time. We make the choices and live with any consequences.