Sanitizing agent

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hector

Reaction score
Hi there !

I'm going to use Iodophor as the sanitizing agent in beer making .

I've read in an Article that to make a sanitizing solution which has 12.5 ppm free Iodine ,

you should use 1/2 fl. Oz. of Iodophor in 5 Gallons of Water .

1/2 fl. Oz. = 15 mL of Iodophor ( 10% aqueous solution )

5 Gallons = 19 Lit. of Water

15/19 = 0.8 mL of Iodophor per Lit. of Water

BUT , I noticed that many home brewers make the sanitizing solution ,

mixing 1.25 mL of Iodophor per Lit. of Water !!!

Can anybody tell me which one is correct and why ?!

Hector

I dont have in front of me and really only used that once before switching to star san so I cant really help you but I would go by what it says on the bottle.

Any reason you won't use Star-San? Its the best brewing sanitizer out there. like iodiphor its no rinse. It stays active for months if mixed with RO water. You can also drink it safely, and any leftovers will become yeast food.

if too much iodiphor is left behind, or mixed too strongly, you will taste iodine in your beer.

I dont have in front of me and really only used that once before switching to star san so I cant really help you but I would go by what it says on the bottle.

+1 I'm surprised they still sell that stuff. It seems like almost nobody uses it. LOL

The brew shop owner where I used to live uses it, and he's often drunk in the early afternoon. That must be a testament to his quality brewing practices, right?

You have to be careful with either product! The Iodophor stains everything very easily and the Star San if left undiluted is pretty caustic, I dripped a little on my wine counter and dint see it and the next day I noticed it and it had actually eaten right through the color layer of the laminate! Good thing I didnt do this upstairs!!!!!!!!!

Any reason you won't use Star-San? Its the best brewing sanitizer out there. like iodiphor its no rinse. It stays active for months if mixed with RO water. You can also drink it safely, and any leftovers will become yeast food.

if too much iodiphor is left behind, or mixed too strongly, you will taste iodine in your beer.

There are only two sanitizing agents available to buy in the shops here :

Bleach and Iodophor

As I'm making Beer in a plastic Fermenter ,

I preferred to use Iodophor so that the Fermenter shouldn't be rinsed with hot Water .

Hector

Last edited:
well i too would use iodiphor over bleach simply for the no-rinse factor.

but look online and see about some star-san in the future. it really is THAT good.

The brew shop owner where I used to live uses it, and he's often drunk in the early afternoon. That must be a testament to his quality brewing practices, right?

I don't know about that, Mud... I know quite a few folks out here in the hills who begin to have problems with slurred speech, eyes trying to close on them, and an inability to walk a straight line by midafternoon, and most of them couldn't brew a glass of ice water.
:d

Latest posts

Back