Sanitizer for new press that won't harm MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TemperanceOwl

Reaction score
What do you all recommend to use to sanitize a brand new wooden wine press for use with wine that is already inoculated with MLF? My normal go-to sanitizer for kits and berries is K-Meta, but that'll kill the MLF. I was going to use Star San, but the bottle specifically said not to use on porous materials such as wood.
How about a good soak and rinse in B-Brite or One Step?
I googled til blue in the face and haven't found anything about sanitizing a wooden wine press.

If you can I'd clean it well with hot water and oxy clean or PBW or something then spritz it with kmeta. That little bit isn't going to hurt the MLB's.

Cheers!
-johann

Spritz with k-meta, that's what I do, MLF has completed each time.

Spritz and let it dry. Shelf life of exposed K-Meta should be do the job and not hurt the MLF.
Cover the thing to protect from dust / bugs / flies etc but otherwise... don't over think it.

If your already inncoculated when pressing - then I assume you’ve added ML early on in AF. By the time your pressing those suckers are already bustin their ass and strong as hell. And the MLF won’t even bat an eye at residual so2 from press.
Co-inoculating seems to really provide strong confident MLF’s

I stick the basket in the fermenter with a good amount of KMeta solution in the bottom. Lid on for a while, then I flip the basket and put the lid back on for another little while.

I cleaned the absolute hell out of the old dirty press I used this year with a 3x strong star san solution. Wine was co-innoculated and the MLF finished perfectly. Either method is fine from what I've read. I just prefer starsan as I'm asthmatic and sensitive to Kmeta fumes.

I cleaned the absolute hell out of the old dirty press I used this year with a 3x strong star san solution. Wine was co-innoculated and the MLF finished perfectly. Either method is fine from what I've read. I just prefer starsan as I'm asthmatic and sensitive to Kmeta fumes.

Yup, that would be one good reason not to use any cleaner that cuts loose with some wicked gases that most of us don't even notice.

At end of shift in the college dishwashing department (1970) some brilliant person decided to use some limeaway to clean the equipment before shutting it down. The dishwasher was equipped to add a little chlorine bleach to one of the rinse sprays in the automatic dishwasher. Needless to say Limeaway + Chlorine Bleach creates a killer mix - literally. Fortunately the room was equipped with a chlorine gas detector that started alerting us. Our leader yelled CLEAR OUT NOW! He hit the extra exhaust fan switch and we ran for the stairs.

Last edited:
Back