Sanitizer contamination into wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jared Retter

Junior
Reaction score
Well, I got a sureflow pump and was all excited to rack 3 carboys into new flex tank. Cleaned 15 gallon flex tank with PBW and then sanitized. Then ran sanitizer through pump and thought I got it all out. Went to rack wine and it shot probably 1/4-1/2 cup of sanitized water (starsan) into tank followed by the wine. Didnt think much of it but I think the wine has a pretty off taste now that I cant get out of my mouth it seems like. Could this be from that? Its that wine toast? Should I not run sanitizer through pump? If I should do you pump out first bit into a different container to clear it?
Thanks for all your help in here!

Don't worry, it's likely not the Starsan you are tasting. Good to run it through beforehand but always run it till dry back into a bucket or back into a bucket until you see the color change. Many winemakers have done the very same thing. That much Starsan in 15 gallons of wine will be fine, only 0.2%. The guy who invented Starsan actually drank Starsan with no ill-effects. If you really want to see, take a bottle of wine, separate into 2 equal parts, add 0.75 ml to one and see if you can tell the difference in blind tastings. My guess is you won't. At least I wouldn't notice.

Well, I got a sureflow pump and was all excited to rack 3 carboys into new flex tank. Cleaned 15 gallon flex tank with PBW and then sanitized. Then ran sanitizer through pump and thought I got it all out. Went to rack wine and it shot probably 1/4-1/2 cup of sanitized water (starsan) into tank followed by the wine. Didnt think much of it but I think the wine has a pretty off taste now that I cant get out of my mouth it seems like. Could this be from that? Its that wine toast? Should I not run sanitizer through pump? If I should do you pump out first bit into a different container to clear it?
Thanks for all your help in here!
I’ve done the same. I couldn’t taste the difference between them.

Back