Sanitize shears when pruning?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I don't have any grape vines. I just buy grapes and juice to make wine. But I do have a small potted herb garden. When you guys do your pruning is it common practice to sanitize your shears or scissors before the cut?
If so, do you just do a quick rubbing alcohol swab, or would the k-meta I have in a spray bottle for my wine equipment also get the job done.
OR.... is sanitizing shears unnecessary ?

If I know or suspect a vine has disease of course I sanitize the shears after cutting anything else to prevent moving the disease to healthy vine. Bleach works well. K-meta is not sufficient for this type of sanitizing as K-meta mostly just stuns the pathogens, and they can recover.

Else, no I do not sanitize shears between healthy vines.

If I know or suspect a vine has disease of course I sanitize the shears after cutting anything else to prevent moving the disease to healthy vine.

It's not grapes, but this is basically what I do in my greenhouse.

When I was in wine country this past February, most of the vineyards were in full bore pruning mode. Every one that I saw was a crew of workers out there just pruning their hearts out, no dipping or spraying of their instruments.

A number of them, however, had a few extra guys walking behind the pruners with a pail of liquid which they were painting on to each pruning cut, presumably to seal and protect the cuts. All of the fresh cuts I was able to look at, whether sealed or not, were oozing a pretty fair amount of liquid.

Thats Ok John, we all know at least our little secret is safe with you!

20150527_677045.jpg

Surely you misinterpreted, I didn't go to WA State, I said I went to Wine Country, not hooch-ville!!!!

BTW, what does a 100pt WA wine go for in the land of Auto Parts these days? :)

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 1.12.19 PM.png

Last edited:
Thats Ok John, we all know at least our little secret is safe with you!

20150527_677045.jpg

BTW, what does a 100pt WA wine go for in the land of Auto Parts these days? :)

Are you really citing Parker's 100 point rating after commenting about how frequently they hand out 100's?????? LOL!!!

Apparently the Wine Spectator folks aren't so hot on it....BTW, check it out on winesearcher, can't touch it for less than $169.99!!

I do so enjoy our little volleys about WA vs WS, Napa vs Washington, but all kidding aside, particularly for those who may misinterpret our ranting, I do acknowledge the absolute validity and ability of winemakers, regardless of locale, who consistently produce high quality, enjoyable wines, it's an art that I truly admire and enjoy the fruits of their labor and talent.

And yes, Napa wines do tend, generally, to be higher priced than comparable wines from Washington, regardless of who gave them what score. The beauty is that we can each choose what to enjoy, I happen to choose both.

IMG_0884.jpg

IMG_0885.jpg

Yes,

Love to play around with you John! All kidding aside, there is plenty of good stuff still in Cali, including our oldest daughter and SIL!

So many wines not enough time try them all.

Are you really citing Parker's 100 point rating after commenting about how frequently they hand out 100's?????? LOL!!!

Apparently the Wine Spectator folks aren't so hot on it....BTW, check it out on winesearcher, can't touch it for less than $169.99!!

I do so enjoy our little volleys about WA vs WS, Napa vs Washington, but all kidding aside, particularly for those who may misinterpret our ranting, I do acknowledge the absolute validity and ability of winemakers, regardless of locale, who consistently produce high quality, enjoyable wines, it's an art that I truly admire and enjoy the fruits of their labor and talent.

And yes, Napa wines do tend, generally, to be higher priced than comparable wines from Washington, regardless of who gave them what score. The beauty is that we can each choose what to enjoy, I happen to choose both.

Yes,

Love to play around with you John! All kidding aside, there is plenty of good stuff still in Cali, including our oldest daughter and SIL!

So many wines not enough time try them all.

FWIW, I do have a few bottles of 2014 Quilceda Creek Cab paid for and being held until cooler temps prevail...............

I have separate pruners for my various needs. I clean them after use and try to never cross use them

I carry a bottle of starsan sanitizer solution in a spray bottle and spray my shears in between plants. Kills with less contact time than bleach. Also, bleach can evaporate out of solution if you leave it exposed to air in a bowl.

K-meta is very corrosive, so don't get it on pruners or any other metal including "stainless" steel.

Latest posts

Back