Sanitation Tube.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac

Reaction score
Sometimes it's the little things. If you're like me, you get sick of trying to sanitize your long rods. LOL. Equipment such as the gassers, aerators, auto siphons, spoon handles - - you name it. You're always cupping sanitizing solution or sloppy toweling and giving it the long rub down, getting it everywhere.

Most of my micro Innovations are precipitated by, "If I only had..." this one was easy.

2 feet of 2in pvc*
2 end caps
Some pvc glue.

* tip: use 2-1/2in so your spoon head can fit. Mine only fits the handle up to the spoon flare... Which still helps out a bunch.

Glue one end cap per pcs glue directions, let it set and wash the **** out if it. Now I have an already-sanitized, home-made aerator sitting in my home-made starsan tube, ready to do the daily deed on my primary fermenter.

I know there may be ramifications of long term star san in a pvc/pvc glue container. That's why I change out the starsan somewhat regularly.

2017-03-07 08.03.57.jpg

2017-03-07 08.04.27.jpg

2017-03-07 08.04.46.jpg

I like it. Not knowing what the long term impact would be on your plastic equipment or the PVC pipe, I'd probably store all that stuff clean and dry, then throw it into the tube for 15 minutes with a little KMeta prior to each use.

It's a good idea. PVC does leach though proven carcinogen. You need CPVC but I don't think they make it in large diameters. You'll probable be fine if you just change the solution often. All plastics leach more at low temps freezing and higher temps.

Thanks guys. Great points. It's def not for long term storage. Mainly for streamlining long tool sanitizing during the aeration week of primary fermenting, must-mixing & bottling days.

Lol to keep my kitchen and ferment area from turning into a starsan wetland.

I like it. Not knowing what the long term impact would be on your plastic equipment or the PVC pipe, I'd probably store all that stuff clean and dry, then throw it into the tube for 15 minutes with a little KMeta prior to each use.

I use a wallpaper tray. put spoons, auto siphon etc and spray before use

pACE3-20118403enh-z7.jpg

Interesting idea. Currently, I just put my racking cane in the 1 gallon jar of k-meta solutuion with a rag wrapped around it that is soaked in the solution.

The PVC (if safe) seems like a good solution, but how to you keep it standing up with the solution inside of it? I do also like the wall paper trey. Seems like a very easy solution.

Just thinking about it. I keep my clean unused carboys with some k-meta solution in the bottom with a bung in it. This way, I just empty out the solution and use it as soon as I'm ready for it. I suppose I could just pull the bung and drop the cane down in it and let it sit in the fumes (and the fumes are rough inside them) and let sit there while I prepare everything else. It's said the fumes will take care of it within about five minutes.

My GF and I no longer use the term k-meta solution. We just refer to it as stink-water. :sh

The PVC (if safe) seems like a good solution, but how to you keep it standing up with the solution inside of it? I do also like the wall paper trey. Seems like a . :sh

It stand up all by itself. The 2 inch base plus the added girth of the end cap keeps it erect with no wobble.

The beauty is that it fits between carboys and primary buckets against the back wall or it the floor next to the station. No chance of tipping...it has a top cap that fits uber snug if it does topple. Dripping from the top cap was tested out miniscule.

As to the pvc being safe, the solution is in there for 7 days tops at a stretch, if leaching is a concern. Pvc is rated for water potable at room temperatures--my initial concern was that the dye colored WP tray doesn't have an HDPE rating of food safe... .. I liked the idea of the wallpaper tray too, but for the week long storage for daily primary bucket aeration, I found the self containment AND the physical footprint a needed benefit for me. I mount the aerator on my drill while it's still in the tube only 6 inches away from primary... No drips. When done, rinse and back it goes. Same for my auto siphon...only it gets stored elsewhere due to the neck. It don't get any better than that. Lol.

Per Starsan Customer Service :

"Hi John,*
I spoke to our chemist and she said that using the recommended dosage solution of Starsan ( 1oz per 5 gallons of water) with PVC should be ok and will not have any negative effects... "

Clean bill of health. ;)

Interesting idea. Currently, I just put my racking cane in the 1 gallon jar of k-meta solutuion with a rag wrapped around it that is soaked in the solution.

The PVC (if safe) seems like a good solution, but how to you keep it standing up with the solution inside of it? I do also like the wall paper trey. Seems like a very easy solution.

Just thinking about it. I keep my clean unused carboys with some k-meta solution in the bottom with a bung in it. This way, I just empty out the solution and use it as soon as I'm ready for it. I suppose I could just pull the bung and drop the cane down in it and let it sit in the fumes (and the fumes are rough inside them) and let sit there while I prepare everything else. It's said the fumes will take care of it within about five minutes.

My GF and I no longer use the term k-meta solution. We just refer to it as stink-water. :sh

I use the same setup using left over pieces. My tube just fits down the kitchen disposal mouth. It wobbles a little but does not tip over.

Mike

Great topic to read on....I always have some trouble sanitizing those items due to length.

Back