WineXpert Sangiovese kit - Kitosan/degassing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkirtani

Junior
Reaction score
I have started a winexpert sangiovese kit
After 12 days in the primary , I transferred the wine to the secondary ( carboy). I degassed it well but also ended up transferring some sediment.
now I have to add kitosan ( after another 2 days). I need your advice on
1) Should I rack it again after adding the kitosan or even before adding the kitosan to remove the sediment?
2) I want to degas it even more ( is it advisable to do so )

Thanks,
-Prasanna

The sentiment won't be an issue. If there is extra at the bottom before you're adding chitosan, you're not hurting anything. The chitosan will cause more sentiment to form at the bottom anyway.

Degassing is always the hardest part. Do what you can to degas, but in my experience it never feels like it's enough :)

The sentiment won't be an issue. If there is extra at the bottom before you're adding chitosan, you're not hurting anything. The chitosan will cause more sentiment to form at the bottom anyway.

Degassing is always the hardest part. Do what you can to degas, but in my experience it never feels like it's enough :)

Thanks Grabo,
True Degassing is so tricky. I degassed the wine for like more than an hour with a drill but still seemed to there is more co2 in there. Thanks for your suggestion..
cheers
-Prasanna

Back