Sangiovese and sulfer smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffZ

Junior
Reaction score
After many kits and pails - we wanted to try making from just the grapes. We bought sangiovese grapes from Corrado's in NJ. Had them crush and destem and when proper SG was achieved - we pressed and put into carboy.

We re-racked and added some KMeta at right times. After 6 months, we noticed a slight sulfer smell/taste - not horrible - but not pleasant.

Now it's 11 months and want to bottle - but in sampling - there's still a slight sulfer taste. Is it because of too much Kmeta - we don't think so.
Overall, there's a nice grape flavor and it doesn't taste ruined - but there's that hint of sulpher.

Is there anything we can do? Will degassing help - will any chemical help - letting it sit longer for smell to leave? Or too late?
Thanks.

Jeff, you don't say how much wine you made. Is it in carboys and if so, how many? You may be able to lessen the SO2 by splash racking into clean carboys, repeatedly. Try it on one of your carboys and see if you get a whiff of sulfur coming out of the carboy. Is the wine clear? I suggest that you try not to add any chemicals at this point before you try mechanical methods.

Like Rocky said, try a good splash racking.

Could you let me know what the smell is like? Does it smell like rotten eggs? does it smell like burnt rubber?

If that is the case, and a splash racking does not help, I would recommend that you try treating the wine with some redueless.

I originally racked a 5 gallon carboy - and left very little headroom. The temperature was pretty stable over the year.
I only added 1/4 tb of Kmeta maybe every 4 months.
It's not a overpowering rotten egg smell - just a clear sulfur smell and taste. But it tastes
like there's some good wine hidden there.

After I splash rack - is it worth degassing as well? Thanks so much.

Jeff, is that correct that you added 1/4 "tb" meaning tablespoon? If so, that is a very high dose. The correct amount for a 5 gallon carboy would be a scant 1/4 teaspoon. If you used 1/4 tablespoon, you did 3x the amount required.

"I only added 1/4 tb of Kmeta maybe every 4 months."

Jeff, is that correct that you added 1/4 "tb" meaning tablespoon? If so, that is a very high dose. The correct amount for a 5 gallon carboy would be a scant 1/4 teaspoon. If you used 1/4 tablespoon, you did 3x the amount required.

Rocky's dead on here if you used tablespoons. 1 tablespoon = 3 teaspoons, meaning you have triple the dosage of sulfites in there. If that's the case, your wine is quite safe, but you're tasting the SO2, time will decrease the free sulfites in your wine, and additional splash racking will speed the process along.

I totally miss that Rocky. Yes, if you are adding 1/4 tablespoons, then yup, it is way too much.

just checked my measuring spoons and it is indeed TSP - not TB. so i did not over add sulfites.

so last question - i will definitely try splash racking.

but doesn't degassing accomplish the same thing. we have a plastic drill attachment that does a nice job of degassing the wine.
isn't that easier or the wrong technique and just stick with the splash technique. much thanks everyone!

Just rerack the wine a few times. Wait a few days and taste again.

It's time to get some reduless to treat the sulfer. If you let it go without treatment, then it will start to form mercaptans. You can get Reduless from MoreWine.

And even tho racking MAY remove the smell, this does not mean you've gotten rid of the sulfer. If sulfer remains--even smaller amounts that don't produce aroma--- you can still have a problem with mercaptans down the line. Don't delay any longer. BE SURE to treat the wine as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Back