Same wine different colours

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orejunky

Reaction score
First time making a pinot grigio from festa juice and I am about 12 days in. I have one demijon and two 1 gallon jugs going. I am noticing that the two gallon jugs have a slightly different colour to them. Now granted they aren't the exact same type of gallon jugs so it could be the properties of the glass itself. I am just wondering if there is a way to tell visually if the wine went funky. The bubbles are about 13 to 15 seconds apart.

First time making a pinot grigio from festa juice and I am about 12 days in. I have one demijon and two 1 gallon jugs going. I am noticing that the two gallon jugs have a slightly different colour to them. Now granted they aren't the exact same type of gallon jugs so it could be the properties of the glass itself. I am just wondering if there is a way to tell visually if the wine went funky. The bubbles are about 13 to 15 seconds apart.

Try tasting them both to check for funk. I wouldn't worry about the color difference, though.

Would I just pour it or use a siphon?....what would it taste like if it was funky?

Ok...I don't have one. I can take it to the local wine maker. He said he would help me out. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow or the next day. Thank you!

Volume...assuming that all the containers have their share of the yeast....there is more liquid in the demijohn, less so in the gallon jugs. More stuff for the light to have to work it's way through....It IS going to look different. I would not worry about it, but I know you will anyway!

FWIF, turn out the lights, then they will both be the same color! While at the LHBS to get your wine thief, I would pick up a bucket big enough to hold the entire volume of your must....I would just much rather rack off of ONE set of lees than three.

I often have gallon jugs from the same batch that look different colors. For me it is usually because of coming from diff sections of the original carboy, ie one pulled first will be darker in color but more clear than a gallon taken from the bottom of the carboy that had not cleared as well yet. The suspended dregs from white wine make that less clear gallon look lighter. I clearly see this with your two carboys. Nothing to worry about at all.

Pam in cinti

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back