Same smell from different batches of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mungynwa

Junior
Reaction score
I started fermenting pineapple and potato wine simultaneously. Both of them are giving off the same smell. Currently in the second day of fermentation. Is this normal?

Welcome to WMT!

Yes, I think that sounds normal. The yeast are doing the same thing in both cases: eating sugars, and excreting alcohol and CO2.
Thank you very much for your prompt response. I'm a newbie so I'm still not aware of the different chemical changes taking place over the course of making wine. So when do you think that both the wines will start imparting their individual and distinct aromas?

I think they will smell different as soon as the heavy-duty fermentation is finished. I would guess that their individual aromas are just being overwhelmed by the fermentation byproducts.

I think they will smell different as soon as the heavy-duty fermentation is finished. I would guess that their individual aromas are just being overwhelmed by the fermentation byproducts.
Makes total sense now! Great! Pardon me for my trivial question. Until your response, I almost drove myself into panic mode thinking I had messed it up. It was this morning that I went to give a quick stir and that was when I noticed that I could hardly differentiate between the two batches from their aromas. Thank you once again for clarifying my brief scare!

Makes total sense now! Great! Pardon me for my trivial question. Until your response, I almost drove myself into panic mode thinking I had messed it up. It was this morning that I went to give a quick stir and that was when I noticed that I could hardly differentiate between the two batches from their aromas. Thank you once again for clarifying my brief scare!

Ha! I have a batch in the middle of rapid fermentation right now. After I responded, I went down to stir it, and was immediately struck by the powerful (and familiar to me) scent of fermentation. Yes, it does not smell much like the particular wine I am making.

Ha! I have a batch in the middle of rapid fermentation right now. After I responded, I went down to stir it, and was immediately struck by the powerful (and familiar to me) scent of fermentation. Yes, it does not smell much like the particular wine I am making.
Powerful yet satisfying scent! :D What flavour of wine is it btw?

Latest posts

Back