Salycilc acid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopin

Reaction score
Hello

After some questions around I learned about this salycilic acid.
This is one is being used just like sulphites to preserve wine and all.
According to wikipedia it is the base ingredient for aspirine.
Anyway, I just wanted to know if someone has used this instead of that one FSo2 or whatever dioxid sulphur and what the results has been.

Thanks

1. Haven't heard of salycilic acid before.

2. yahoo search for "salycilic acid wine" was not useful

3. wiki entry for "salycilic acid" does not mention wine or sulphites. It says "In addition to being a compound that is chemically similar to but not identical to the active component of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), it is probably best known for its use in anti-acne treatments." Further the medicinal uses section talks about stomach relief and applie to skin.

Summary: can't quickly find anything to support your post. Can you provide a link to something that explains your suggested usage?

Steve

I am thinking that you're probably referring to ascorbic acid (vitamin C) ?? It can be used as an antioxidant in winemaking but it must be used in conjunction with SO2 as it produces powerful oxidizing agents as a byproduct of its reaction with oxygen (hydrogen peroxide for example.) It acts as an oxygen scavenger and as such it is most useful to neutralize oxygen incorporated through brief exposure to air such as at crushing or bottling. It can help avoid oxidation of must and wine in such circumstances, but it reacts quickly with oxygen and so its benefits are short-term only and it will not help protect your wine in the long run. In addition, recent research from S. Africa and Australia suggest only using it in white wines (or fruit wines) but not reds. In short, red wines generally bind up more of the SO2 added and so there is not enough free SO2 left to both deal with the by-products of ascorbic acid reactions and also protect your wine against microbial activity, etc. So your wine is compromised and may actually oxidize prematurely or fall prey to spoilage organisms.

Summary: Ascorbic acid has its applications but the only additive proven to have both anti-oxidant and anti-microbial properties is sulphur dioxide. You can make wine without it, but I wouldn't... or I'd just make sure to drink up quickly!! Even organic winemaking regulations allow the use of small amounts of SO2 in most if not all jurisdictions.

No, I was talking exactly about salycilic acid.
Maybe Cpfan hasn't read it till the end. I am quoting here from wikipedia

"Other uses

* Although toxic in large quantities, salicylic acid is used as a food preservative.[citation needed] For some people with salicylate sensitivity even these small doses can be harmful."

It's not much but there is something. Anyway I see that in my country this is very popular among winemakers and I wanted to share this information with you to make some confrontation.
But seems you don't use it at all

Yeah I ignored that because food is not wine.

Steve

3. wiki entry for "salycilic acid" does not mention wine or sulphites. It says "In addition to being a compound that is chemically similar to but not identical to the active component of aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), it is probably best known for its use in anti-acne treatments." Further the medicinal uses section talks about stomach relief and applie to skin.

Yeah... it's the active ingredient in Oxy face pads and other similar acne products.

But if it's put in wine, and I drink said wine, perhaps I won't break out anymore! Drunk and acne free! Woohoo! :r

food preservative...not wine preservative.

I suspect the alcohol will interact with it.

Latest posts

Back