Salutation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bladeofthemoon

Drunken God
Reaction score
hi everyone. my salutations from India. I'm new to the whole wine making fun, so i'm hoping i will be able to count on you guys to help me out with my doubts and problems.

cheers!!!

Welcome !!

India is a long way from where I am located
(the netherlands) so I am sure you can lay
your hands on some exotic fruit which is hard to get
here.

Planning something ???

Luc

thanks for the welcome. :) yes i have a recipe i got from the book Winemaking by Stanley F Anderson. its an Apple and honey wine. having some trouble with a few things in the recipe cause the ingredients are typically US based and wine making isnt so popular here.

So what are you looking for, maybe we can find substitutes.

Luc

Also possibly of interest to you: Apple and Honey wine is called a cyser and considered a form of mead (honey wine). Maybe this information will help you when searching for ingredients or information. :)

Good luck with your wine making!

@ TheTooth

Thanks, i appreciate the info.

@Luc

The trouble is i dont have access to any of the yeasts mentioned in the book, like champgane wine yeast or montpellier etc etc. i just have access to plain ol' bread making fresh yeast or packets of dry yeast pellets for bread making. im not sure if either would work or not.
i was also having trouble with the Vinacid R and Vinacid O originally till i saw someone say that its basically a mixture of Mallic, tartaric and citric acid. So i got the mixture percentages as :

The R is approximately 65% malic, 30% tartartic and 5% citric. The O is approximately 65% tartaric, 30% malic and 5% citric.

so i am planning on buying the Pharmapseutical ( hope i spelt it rite :p ) standard versions of the three and mix them in the above mentioned ratios. Also, the yeast nutrient that they want me to add seems to be basically di-ammonium phosphate or just called yeast nutrient, which i cant find either, so imma get the Pharmapseutical standard of that too.

hehe, i guess i am working in a lot of restrictions huh? the real prob is just that home made wine making isnt that popular here i guess which is y no one has kits in stores. :( so any suggestions would be more than welcome. just to add, my work in the kitchen is usually described as improvisation. :p thanks!!

Hi bladeofthemoon,

Welcome to the forum.
Are you set on what you have planned? Reason is there are other recipes out there that wouldn't pose quite the problem getting you started that you now face, although having said that you do seem to be on top.
I'm thinking you've got the yeast and additives you're presently working on would not be needed.
Just to get you started. Cheers

Blade I think you have things covered.

You found the right substitutes for acid and nutrients.

There are some differences in the way bakers yeast and wine
yeast work.
I have made several batches using bakers yeast (a recipe coming up in my next web-log entry) and it ferments just fine. However the strains used over here in Holland may be different from the strains they are selling over there.

Make a test batch to see how it works out.

Luc

@petes

Hi petes. nice to meet you and thanks for the affirmative. i was worried of coming up with a drink that might gimme food poisoning. :p hehe. that puts me back to confidence level 100%. :)

@Luc

thanks a lot for ure advice. i will now proceed to making the first batch. as you said, i guess a test batch will show me what i am or am not doing rite. :) i am still going thru the topics in the forums to learn all i can from other's doubts. :) will ask more questions to clear out doubts.

i was worried of coming up with a drink that might gimme food poisoning.

As I understand it, most harmful bacteria has a hard time living in alcoholic beverages. In much older times, beer and wine used to be safer to drink than water because of the contaminants and bacteria in water sources before we learned how to make them safe in our local water sources. :)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that you can rest assured that your homemade wine should not hurt you in any way (as long as you don't drink 5 bottles in one sitting :eek:). Alcohol really only become potentially dangerous when you are distilling.

Hopefully this helps alleviate your worries about getting food poisoning from your wine. It's VERY hard to do. In fact, I've never even heard of anyone doing that.

@TheTooth

not only does it alleviate my worries, it brings my confidence back up to 150% of being able to make wine. heh, considering i have managed to get the seeds of 2 types of cherry blossom trees to bud in indian climate( which everyone said would not bud, cause cherry blossom trees arent grown here in india) at this present time, my overall confidence that i can do anything is 100%. adding ure assurances, its 150%.

Back