Sake or Saki

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
23 litres of sake?

omg you know it tastes like methylated spirits smells, right?

you can always dissolve shellac flakes with it Collette hehehehe

:p

Allie

Google couldn't translate it because it wasn't in Japanese characters, it's written in the common Anglicization of Japanese known as Romanji.

Boozehag, the most important thing you should take away from this thread is this: don't use a carboy for primary fermentation when making saké. You need to be able to get in there and add ingredients like steamed rice, as well as be able to stir the moto and early moromi stages. A food grade plastic bucket with tight fitting lid is an appropriate container for this, not a carboy. Okay?

Oh I wasnt gonig to use the carboy....sorry if I gave that impression. I planned on using my primary bucket for that.

Just a quick question though, I didnt quite get if the rice weight is on dry or steamed weight?

Always dry measurement (volume/weight) for rice. =)

Edit: I'm not too hot with metric for making saké, but I want to point out that when using US "standard" measurements, everything is done in volumetric measurements and is based around the standard 10 pound bag (or 5 pound bag if doing a half batch) of rice sold in our markets. You'll notice that discrepancy when reading the guide: the ingredients in the recipe itself are listed by weight because that's how they are sold, but in the process section of the guide all ingredient amounts are given as cups (8 fluid ounces). In answer to a request from another forum I added some quick metric conversions, but they're listed in grams - which I know can't be a correct conversion (8 fluid ounces of rice can't , but all metric recipes I've ever seen for pretty much anything measures all dry ingredients by grams rather than by milliliters.

I did the best I could. If you can improve upon it, I'd welcome any corrections you can suggest. Almost all of those metric amounts came out of Fred Eckhardt's saké PDF, so I assumed they were pretty accurate.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, all good so far, any errors Im sure will be on my part, but hey we do learn from mistakes after all!!! :)

I speak a colourful language I call french but I doubt its the same one youre talking about!:p

Hi Taylor, Im just about to rack to secondary. Must say its a full on procedure but its looking and smellnig fine so far so all good.

I believe sake is a japanese beer made from rice and not a wine?

It is neither a wine (because it contains no fruit) nor a beer (because it contains no hops or carbonation). Saké deserves to be in a separate category, I call it: Asian jiu.

Back