Saignee-Real time help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW, whenever I make a wine I don't want to go through MLF I always add Lysozyme after AF. I realize it's not necessarily considered a clearing agent but it does help. My Rose's were clear in early December with no other clearing agents, step filtered with a 1 then .5 micron filter and bottled in mid December. Norcal mentioned in an earlier post the spontaneous MLF could take some time to complete and this could be causing the slight cloudiness. I don't know if Lysozyme is a birth control like Sorbate or an inhibitor. The other thing that puzzles me is the critical SO2 tolerances with MLF and if the wine is sulfited heavily enough how the wild MLB could actually have started. If it were mine I might want to try getting the SO2 level up to 50 ppm and add Lysozyme prior to filtering.

Before trying to guess at the next course of action, I’d want to know what happened, so that I could understand what I was dealing with. Have you taken a SG on the wine since the incident? How about running a chromatography? I think if we can figure that out, the solution(s) will be revealed.

Good suggestions. ANd thanks.

Brix on the +5/-5 hydrometer is around -2, so I think it's bone dry.

But no on the chromatography. I guess I'm being lazy but have not done that. I'm nearly certain that second fermentation was MLF though. I'll try and do that this next week. Maybe I'm looking for a good reason to buy a filtration set up!

So some time has gone by, and adjusted the TA up by 0.5gm/L to 6.2 then bottled. Got 2 cases plus stragglers. It's been in the bottle for a week. tonight was the first taste test.

Ya know, it's pretty good. I don't know how a Mourvedre Rose is supposed to taste, but it's good enough for a first effort. It dropped a few diamonds in the fridge. The wife likes it too. I'm going to give this a passing grade. I would serve it to friends with a nod to the idea its a first effort. Still, I'm pleased with this, considering, the red wine yeast, the grapes which looked nice but had this odd brownish character in the juice.

The Rose is more orange than pink, so that's something to work on for next year. But for sure, all remaining bottles of this will be consumed in the next year.

A035160C-6D5D-4F03-9B1C-83BF8B0F42DF.jpeg

So some time has gone by, and adjusted the TA up by 0.5gm/L to 6.2 then bottled. Got 2 cases plus stragglers. It's been in the bottle for a week. tonight was the first taste test.

Ya know, it's pretty good. I don't know how a Mourvedre Rose is supposed to taste, but it's good enough for a first effort. It dropped a few diamonds in the fridge. The wife likes it too. I'm going to give this a passing grade. I would serve it to friends with a nod to the idea its a first effort. Still, I'm pleased with this, considering, the red wine yeast, the grapes which looked nice but had this odd brownish character in the juice.

The Rose is more orange than pink, so that's something to work on for next year. But for sure, all remaining bottles of this will be consumed in the next year.

View attachment 60081

I have a 50/50 Nebbiolo/Sangiovese Rose and similar to you I'm not quite sure what it's supposed to taste like. But it doesn't suck for a 7 month old wine.

Gotta love rosè wine. —-there are literally no rules!!!
So I don’t think anyone can really say what YOUR wine ‘supposed’ to taste like. As long as it’s good then that’s a win in my book.

I made one once from a kit. A winexpert Selections Sauvignon Blanc w/ a red pack for color & backsweetening (I added all upfront & went dry). It was delicious and disappeared quick. Looking forward to making another. Although I am being realistic since I won’t be using a grape that’s common in rosè unlike you guys. I see Mourvèdre and Sangiovese rosè’s often. Shot in the dark here with Malbec.

Maybe I’ll call it- “Malbec Blanc”. And when I give it out I’ll just say, Duh! It’s Malbec Blanc. It’s SUPPOSED to look and taste like that!

Awesome, glad to hear you were able to clear without any fining. Your pic is making me thirsty!!

Well the saignee rosè plan was fun while it lasted. I broke off a portion and planned to press right away to not overdo the color. Unfortunately the juice coming out of the crusher was already much darker than anticipated. Pressed 1st half immediately anyway. 2nd half tossed whole clusters straight to press. Time on skins only time it took to run through the press.
I’m going to just combine everything back together likely. I don’t believe that juice this dark will be able to be a rosè.
What do you think?
(Comparison photos the “rosè” is on the left)
FB780E90-3273-4263-B0E4-C87107845547.jpeg2C921532-0620-4BB1-B18D-103B6AF3E411.jpeg0BF24306-5654-44A4-9C55-5337E7A90607.jpeg379C2FC4-81BF-41C6-9D27-D40C1C26B80F.jpeg

Well the saignee rosè plan was fun while it lasted. I broke off a portion and planned to press right away to not overdo the color. Unfortunately the juice coming out of the crusher was already much darker than anticipated. Pressed 1st half immediately anyway. 2nd half tossed whole clusters straight to press. Time on skins only time it took to run through the press.
I’m going to just combine everything back together likely. I don’t believe that juice this dark will be able to be a rosè.
What do you think?
(Comparison photos the “rosè” is on the left)
View attachment 60935View attachment 60936View attachment 60937View attachment 60938

Just going to throw this out there and I don't remember what mine looked like, but I bet the wine once cleared will be substantially lighter.

And My Rosè from 2019 is gone. Wife drank it all. Or most of it, because I had a bit too. Daughter also liked it. It was pretty good in the end, and maybe better than all the other wine associated with this Mourvedre. But happy to have it gone to make way for the 2020 (Which, BTW, looks like a true winner). 2019 was 2 cases, 2020 will be 4 cases. Funny how that works.

Lots of good learning here. And I'm thinking 2020 will be the year to learn about lysozyme, bentonite, cold proofing and other strange concepts.

But from a home wine making perspective, Rosè is easy and a crowd pleaser, especially in the summer. I had kind of dismissed Rosè before this, but it works, and people like it because it isn't complicated or difficult to understand, it's just good to drink in the moment. And it's ready to drink in 6 months.

An easy, low intervention potential solution might be 3 egg white, a bit of water (3 tablespoons or thereabouts), and a pinch of salt. Stir in for a couple minutes. I do this if I want to fine and/or strip a bit of tannins (which will happen).

Last edited:
I think that you have inspired me to give this a shot next year. What yeast did you end up using/and what yeast are you thinking about trying in the future? Thanks for the update!

I think that you have inspired me to give this a shot next year. What yeast did you end up using/and what yeast are you thinking about trying in the future? Thanks for the update!

Lol. There is no "shot". Rosè is about as easy as it gets. For yeast in 2019, I used what I had, which was Avante, a red wine yeast . And because it chews up too much Malic acid, I'd likely not use it again in a Rose. But it worked great. A true workhorse.

This year 2020, I used D21 for the Rose, which is also a red wine yeast, but also used in some white wines too. My previous experience with D21 in 2018 was great. And it was excellent again this year. Another great all around yeast. Low nutrient requirements and no issues.

But going forward, I'll use the H2S preventing yeasts like Avante and Allegro. I wanted some TR-313 for the Sauvignon Blanc, but it's a bit hard to find. Allegro is another Renaissance H2S preventing yeast for white wines. I'm using it now for some Sauvignon Blanc and it's a really excellent choice. FOr me it took off well, and is currently fermenting without bad smells or even a hint of a problem. The only problem is you have to buy 500gm at a time. I'm ok with that, but just be aware. I've done the year to year experiment, and the yeast will still be good a year later if you vacuum seal and store in the fridge. So buying so much at a time is not an issue.

But I have to say, that I don't think the yeast you use, matters that much. Use what you know works. To me, it only makes sense to use the high tech Renaissance yeasts that are incapable of H2S production. In my limited experience they give you super clean and superfast, trouble free fermentations. But any future Rosè, I'll use the Allegro.

I'm making Malbec rosé and Barbera rosé this year and hoping to have them bottled in early 2020 -9 gallons of each.

Interesting think -I was wine tasting in the local area this weekend and I got to talk to the wine maker at one of my favorites. He's bottling his whites and rosés in December -says that once they are settled they are generally ready to go!

-Aaron

Latest posts

Back