Saignee-Real time help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine last year did not clear until April. But as soon as it was clear I bottled. Commercial guys can filter which likely speeds up their process.
Using the winter to cold crash my rose’s. One from spring (very clear) and one from now (still fermenting)— and likely bottling at the same time. Still haven’t got myself a filter setup yet. Not sure if it’s necessary tho.

Using the winter to cold crash my rose’s. One from spring (very clear) and one from now (still fermenting)— and likely bottling at the same time. Still haven’t got myself a filter setup yet. Not sure if it’s necessary tho.

I have a question about that. It's going to get to 34F tonight here in Sacramento which is about as cold as it ever gets. I'm going to set outside 10 gallons of Rose' which is currently in two 5 gallon Sanke kegs. Do you need to rack while still cold, or will the precipitated crystals stay as crystals when the wine warms back up? And is one night enough? I'm really not ready to rack it yet, but would like to avoid future wine diamonds.

I have a question about that. It's going to get to 34F tonight here in Sacramento which is about as cold as it ever gets. I'm going to set outside 10 gallons of Rose' which is currently in two 5 gallon Sanke kegs. Do you need to rack while still cold, or will the precipitated crystals stay as crystals when the wine warms back up? And is one night enough? I'm really not ready to rack it yet, but would like to avoid future wine diamonds.

I’m sure one night is better than no nights. Longer the better tho. I got some reflective duct insulation rolls from work and made some carboy sleeves. Once the carboys temps dropped down I wrapped them in the insulation and towels, and stuffed some towels in the milk crates to keep em cold throughout the day. Kept in the shed out of the sun light.
they were maintaining in the low 40’s even as we had big temp high/low swings. i checked temps daily.

they say 2-3 weeks is standard. If using antacid chems that’s what they suggest as well. And I can say that in my experience the pretty little shiny crystals at the bottom remained there regardless of temps. I’ll often get fallout just from a couple months at 55-60° in my basement actually. And no I did not rack cold. Letting it get back to room temp and clear the cold haze look & allow anything suspended to drop out seemed like the move. This is just what I did — not sure if it’s proper procedure or not though

EEEE3DA2-DBD9-4700-A967-064B6306AF9A.jpeg

I don't keep track of every chrystal, but I don't think I've had any "melt" when temps warmed up. My Rose' is outside 24/7 in a covered shady spot, and will be until the weather changes and I remember to bring it back in.

Hey Drew, I agree with @Ajmassa, one evening is better than none, but let it ride while the temps are low. It is a one way reaction, so no hurry to rack.

Hey Drew, I agree with @Ajmassa, one evening is better than none, but let it ride while the temps are low. It is a one way reaction, so no hurry to rack.

Thanks. Funny I just checked the temp and the wine only got to 41F. I'm going to go a few more nights. Looks like at least 2 more in the low 30s.

Latest posts

Back