Safely releasing SO2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
6 gal batch is in clearing right now.
It's a Kit Rosè made up of Sauv Blanc with a red pack for color. So I'm considering this a white.
Ph is 3.3 and the sulfite chart shows ~25 free ppm is needed.
I accidentally added k-meta twice a week apart. 1/4 tsp the first time. And the package from the kit the second time. Along with sorbate. Followed by clearing agent.
Titrets levels max out at 100 ppm. I'm cool with leaving free so2 higher than 25 ppm obviously but I gotta bring it down. Is splash racking too risky at this point or should that not be a concern since it's overly protected right now? I Also read that repeated pumping with the VacuVin could bind up free so2 with less exposure risk.
I figure 3 options here
1. Splash racking
2. VacuVin
3. Time.
(Or a combination of all).
Anyone have any advice to offer here? I should be ok I think. But I'm no expert and I'm thinking there's much more involved than I realize.

Your in the early stages, I would just move ahead with clearing and bulk aging as desired. Giving a white wine a lot of oxygen by splashing is too risky even with high so2. You can always make another batch without sulfite and blend together.

You're going to rack at least once more. Get through everything up until bottling and retest. Some of that 100ppm is going to get bound up. Some will disappear. Relax and let the wine clear. ;)

Hoping it doesn't affect taste testing along the way leading to unnecessary adjustments.
Also hoping the >100 ppm level is more like 105 and not 150. I've never measured out what the 4g packet of kit sulfite is in relation to a 1/4 tsp. Though I did see that a 1/4 tsp is 1.6 g. And logic says the packet is more than doubled that.
I'm trying not to overthink this. But I also want to make the best wine possible.

Yes. I forgot to specify that. After reading the first 2 replies from Stickman and Boatboy (can I call ya Jim?) my gameplan is to just stay the course and proceed as I normally would.
Related question: how much extra so2 would it take for you to start troubleshooting immediately? Maybe one of those 1/4 tsp per gallon slip-ups?

Yes. I forgot to specify that. After reading the first 2 replies from Stickman and Boatboy (can I call ya Jim?) my gameplan is to just stay the course and proceed as I normally would.
Related question: how much extra so2 would it take for you to start troubleshooting immediately? Maybe one of those 1/4 tsp per gallon slip-ups?

7251014.jpg

Knowing that I'll be bulk aging for a year +\-, I wouldn't take any action other than waiting unless I put a whole teaspoon in 6 gallons. Just wait it out, it's super safe for a while and will eventually be no worse for the wear.

I had to order more SO2 titrets online to check this. (Hard to find locally) The standard kit with 10 glass titret tubes range 10-100 mg/L. With a double dose of sulfite I just assumed I'd be over 100.
My free ppm is 45. That couldn't be correct. Tested a 2nd time. 45.
I can only deduce the standard dose would have not been enough since chart says 25mg/L is the minimum. W/o that mistake I wouldn't have ever checked since I have been out of titrets for a while.
The wine gods have spoken. Defying reason and logic my freeSo2 is good. Divine intervention at its best. Someone up there is looking out for me !

Latest posts

Back