Safe to bottle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CipolloneWine

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Back in October, I made a wine crushing together zinfindel and muscat grapes. I ended up with 15 gallons in a demi-john. Then I started MLF. I did the required stirs for a month or two and then let it sit. About a month ago, I tried it and it had a bad odor and flavor so i decided to rack it and see if that would help. I checked it again last week and the flavors are much better. But I still noticed bubbles inside. I was planning to bottle soon but is it not safe yet? The MLF can't still be going, can it?

P.S. This is only my 3rd year at doing this, so clearly I still have a lot to learn.

5 months old probably has active yeast, you would have to sorbate (I try for 10 to 12 months and skip sorbate = yeast have starved) From the vintners club it seems kit people don’t wait and fresh fruit people do. You didn’t say where the gravity is, ought to be dry at 5 months, , but check to see if the fermentation is done (less than .996)
Active Bubbles suggest that malo is still going on so waiting makes sense. However if you are anxious you could sulphite Wait 2 weeks then sorbate,
Be aware there is a geranium flavor defect when sorbate is metabolized by bacteria. This combined with 15 gallons being at risk again is an argument that says wait.

Looking back at August,it is too bad you didn’t have grandpa help you start, 15 gallons is a big batch. I started with moms one gallon jugs, have worked up to 7 gallons and lust at the stainless steel Seidel fermenters.
Have you done a web search to see if there is a vintners club in your area? Chicago/ Milwaukee clubs have lots of history on problems. We also share hardware and do juice/ grape purchases.
For a newbie I like Grapes into Wine 1972; Wagner. ( history and basics)
Fro someone who has done a few batches and sees problems that need fixing I like Modern Winemaking 1982; Phillips. (Lots of examples scaled to 5 gallons)

Could just be some co2 as well. Only way to know for sure is to test for malo. And might as well check sg too.

I made the same wine last september btw. Except with an extra touch of Alicante grapes
I did a natural ferment and added malo afterwards to the demi. Finished in about a month. Then I blended a non-mlf’d carboy into the demi wine. Never bothered to test again tho. But still noticing co2 in there 6+ months later.
This type of wine (muscat based red wine) is known for being ready early. I was planning on bottling before the summer

Looking back at August,it is too bad you didn’t have grandpa help you start, 15 gallons is a big batch. I started with moms one gallon jugs, have worked up to 7 gallons and lust at the stainless steel Seidel fermenters.
Have you done a web search to see if there is a vintners club in your area? Chicago/ Milwaukee clubs have lots of history on problems. We also share hardware and do juice/ grape purchases.
For a newbie I like Grapes into Wine 1972; Wagner. ( history and basics)
Fro someone who has done a few batches and sees problems that need fixing I like Modern Winemaking 1982; Phillips. (Lots of examples scaled to 5 gallons)

Funny you mention my grandpa. He is no longer here but I'm using all of his old stuff. That's why I'm making 15 gallons as a new newbie and not 5 gallons. He did it the old school way and they were drinking the wine by Christmas. So I'm getting a lot of flack from my uncle for trying things the new way and it's "taking too long." I don't mind waiting but I'm in new territory. Thank you so much for the tips!!

Could just be some co2 as well. Only way to know for sure is to test for malo. And might as well check sg too.

I made the same wine last september btw. Except with an extra touch of Alicante grapes
I did a natural ferment and added malo afterwards to the demi. Finished in about a month. Then I blended a non-mlf’d carboy into the demi wine. Never bothered to test again tho. But still noticing co2 in there 6+ months later.
This type of wine (muscat based red wine) is known for being ready early. I was planning on bottling before the summer

Nice! We did zinfandel/alicante last year.

Is there a way to test for malo that isnt expensive? I could only find expensive kits.

I can't check the sg yet because my wine isn't at my house. But next time I'm there, I'll check it.

Back