Sad Revelation - Empty Shelves

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ffemt128

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've only been making wine since October 2009 and I just came to a sad revelation. I went into the basement this am for something and realized that I have very little stock left on the shelves. I was making the Island Mist kits so we could build up a supply of early drinkers but haven't bought any since may when I bought the Chilean Juice. I currently have 25 gallons of wine in various stages of aging in carboys but nothing immediately drinkable. We've done consumed and gifted our stock.

I may have to run out and grab an IM kit and get it started so I can bottle the end of next month before our SC trip.

I know the feeling - was eyeballing our stock last night - realizing we only have 3 bottles left of the black cherry merlot; Between gifting & drinking it went fast... And my skeeter pees are just finishing up fermentation, still need to clear...

I'm thinking i better get something else going tonight... Maybe this is why the LHBS said don't let that primary go dry for the first year...

Doug Don't Fret! Start a skeeter pee and come see me or we can meet, I'll help you get thru this low inventory thing.

Doug Don't Fret! Start a skeeter pee and come see me or we can meet, I'll help you get thru this low inventory thing.

Thanks for the offer Steve. Did you get your choke cherry wine started? I have a steamer if you want to try steaming to get juice.

Ran out after picking up the truck and grabbed a Island Mist Blackberry Cab kit. Took initial sg up to 1.078 with sugar and partial fpac. Will add remainder prior to clearing. I'll bottle the end of Sept that way it can start being drank in October. Should hold us over until Some other things are ready.

When you first start making wine you have to fermemt like an animal to get ahead of the curve and then you cant go slacking off in the middle.

Ran out after picking up the truck and grabbed a Island Mist Blackberry Cab kit. QUOTE]

Doug thats the first kit I made and it was so good that the rest is history.

When you first start making wine you have to fermemt like an animal to get ahead of the curve and then you cant go slacking off in the middle.

Man Wade so is so true. After doing the blackberry in sept of 2008 mw wife said she get me another kit for xmas. Damn I told her the way we were drinking it with friends we better get a bunch of stuff going immiediatly so we had something to drink for xmas. It has been non stop ever since. I also noticed my inventory is down drastically from this past spring. My wine cellar is probably only 2/3 full. I have over 100 gallons aging right now and a bunch of stuff planned for this fall. Some of them are listed on my signature link listed below.

Well all I can say is hosting a party for you bunch helped me out. I haven't touched my stock for a few weeks. But last year giving a pile of wine for our son's wedding really hurt. I now can say I am not drinking any wine that is younger than six months old, and so waiting for the time that my wines are a year old before I touch them. but to get there all my carboys are full all the time

Well with the party tomorrow, and you and Rodo hitting my cellar who knows what I'll have left. Good thing I have what I got cooking going and all the bonbonnes vides dans l'attente également. It'll be a good year! :se

Well with the party tomorrow, and you and Rodo hitting my cellar who knows what I'll have left. Good thing I have what I got cooking going and all the bonbonnes en attente aussi. It'll be a good year! :se

LOL, I have a list I'm bringing

LOL, I have a list I'm bringing

Check it twice! Take my wine but don't touch my equipment! :)
I do give demonstrations! Hey Julie let Mike know another home brewer from Portersville should be here I just found out. Also a few people will be coming later as they will be at the wineries counting people for the worlds biggest toast in PA.

W
ell with the party tomorrow, and you and Rodo hitting my cellar who knows what I'll have left.

Relax I'm bringing more than I could possibly drink.:)

You are all so right..
To someone who doesn't understand the idea of wine needing time, they think you have a serious problem when they see shelves full and a dozen carboys sitting around in various stages,,, but it is what it is.

That's what hombrewing beer is for. Those in-between periods while the wine ages.

That's the truth for sure. We started off well, then we bought juices and started various fruit wines and with everything that was going on we didn't buy any more kits to hold us over. I currently have about 30 gallons of various wines at different stages. I'll be picking up more juice in September so that will bee good for this time next year.

That's the truth for sure. We started off well, then we bought juices and started various fruit wines and with everything that was going on we didn't buy any more kits to hold us over. I currently have about 30 gallons of various wines at different stages. I'll be picking up more juice in September so that will bee good for this time next year.

We're going to miss you today Doug. Rod is bringing something special though and we'll be toasting you. Steve, you're gonna have to come back up also when Walker's are open.

Latest posts

Back