S.G. to alcohol conversion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I started with a specific gravity reading of 1.015, after fermentation its at .995. I corrected for temp to get these numbers. If I understand this correctly this would mean I ended up with an alcohol content of 20% and that just doen't sound right. Is it?

Boy I hope your reading your hydrometer wrong. I believe you mean starting gravity was at 1.150 which would give you that alcohol. I highly doubt that is correct as your yeast wouldn't survive. Could you mean 1.105 which would be around 13%

Use either of these equations:

Starting SG - Ending SG * 131.8 = ABV
(1.015 - .995 * 131.8 = 2.6%)

Starting SG - Ending SG / .735 = ABV
(1.015 - .995 / .735 = 2.7 %)

The strawberry should have started around 1.085 - which would end up around 12%

Boy I hope your reading your hydrometer wrong. I believe you mean starting gravity was at 1.150 which would give you that alcohol. I highly doubt that is correct as your yeast wouldn't survive. Could you mean 1.105 which would be around 13%

At 1.105 the % would be more between 14-15%

http://www.grapestompers.com/calculations.asp

Black, here a ral simple conversion calculator that will adjust for temperature as well. Its at the bottom of the page.

Keep notes on everything in your winemaking.

It will make it easier to troubleshoot any problem you may encounter and you will know for sure what to change, adjust, and be able to duplicate your successes.

Best luck, and welcome to the forum

Latest posts

Back