s.g on strawberry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mersydo

Junior
Reaction score
the s.g. on my strawberry wine is down to about .986-it was started about 5 weeks ago. how soon should i bottle it? i have siphoned it twice so far. also, i read that you can add sulphite/sorbate/sugar just prior to bottling if you want a less dry strawberry wine. do i wait until the last minute to add that before bottling and what is the best mix ratio? thanks

How clear is it? Can you post your recipe and what you have done to this point?

Having the recipe will help but in the mean time your wine will need to clear. Are you planning on using anything or let it clear on it's own. You will have to degass it as well.

You really should let it bulk age about 6 months then you can sorbate, sweeten and bottle. I have 6 gallons of strawberry peach aging now. It has a very nice color to it.

the s.g. on my strawberry wine is down to about .986-it was started about 5 weeks ago. how soon should i bottle it? i have siphoned it twice so far. also, i read that you can add sulphite/sorbate/sugar just prior to bottling if you want a less dry strawberry wine. do i wait until the last minute to add that before bottling and what is the best mix ratio? thanks

Way to early to think bottling. Rack it off the primary and add k-meta and sorbate.

Way to early to think bottling. Rack it off the primary and add k-meta and sorbate.

I agree - way too early - you still may want to add an f-pac for flavor enhancement - back sweeten - which will require a few more rackings. Plus fruit wine takes longer to clear.

As said above, we need to know if you are using a fining agent and if your wine is clear yet. If no fining agnet is used it will drop sediment for quites some time even after it looks pretty clear. If using a fining agent let it work for 2 weeks, rack it off and let it sit another month as it will usually still drop very fine sediemnt like a light dusting. Do you plan on sweetening this? If so then add k-meta and also sorbate, wait about 1 week and then sweeten your wine and this can sometimes cloud up your wine a little so either do this before using a fining agent or give it more time to clear again.

Back