WineXpert Rumors of a new limited release from Winexpert

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx Jim

I guess I should try my 2014 LE and see how it turned out

cheers

You should. Half of mine is gone. It's a little lighter than I'd have liked, but pleasant.

Checked my SG this evening and we're at just about 0.990. It's still releasing co2 like mad, so I can wait till the weekend to rack it again. This will be about14.2% abv. Maybe a little more.

I opened the above mentioned wine (it was 14 months old) last night with our Prime Rid Roast marinated overnight in a garlic paste and cooked on my Big Green Egg with alder for smoke. The before wine was nice but did seem a bit light. The winery series ST was fuller but also 1 year older. The glass with the meal was much better. More flavours and spicyness. It was a good choice and the rest can sit for another 6 months or so.

cheers

opened a bottle of winery series super tuscan at 2 1/2 years. Compared to the LE ST it is far far superior. Richer, smoother with more depth. The LE is going to have to get a whole lot better to compete with this one.

cheers

Started the Bravado this afternoon.

Sanitized everything.
Add 1.5 Gals of water to a 7.9 Gal Fermenter Bucket. I like to do open fermentations where I cover the top with a mesh bag secured by bunge cords
Stirred and added 1x15G package of Bentonite. I like the previous quote about "using as little as possible".
Added the grape juice and stirred.
Added the 2 packages of oak powder/chips to kit mesh straining bag.
Added the grape skin jelly goodness to the kit mesh straining bag.
Tied off the bag and imersed in the juice. Stirred again. Mesh bag is currently sitting on the bottom. I suspect that will change.
SG = 1.090, Temp = 72.1F
Using BM 4x4 yeast. Seems like a good tweak. Rehydrate according to Lalvin instructions. Pitched and gave it a quick stir.

I will update the thread for significant changes.

I starte this Bravado kit last weekend too. Still in the primary now but i also added 10oz of dried tart cherries and 15oz of fresh blackberries. Stewed those with 2c sugar and some amarone on the stove then put in fridge for a couple days. Added that mixture and a second all-grape-pack to the mesh bag along with the in lided skins and oak powder. Mixed in some DAP after a day and a mittle more once it hit 1050/1060 or so... Only uses the in luded 212 yeast. Squeeze the bag daily to release the juice. Stir it up well too.

Looking forward to racking off gross lee's soon and fine lee's after that. Intend to add two or three sticks of heavy french oak but we'll see how it goes.

Cheers!
-johann

The BM 4x4 is screaming along.
Today temp is 75.2F and SG is 1.036.
Had a hint of sulfur today. Missed the stirring last night.
A good stirring, squeeze and some DAP seems to have already reduced it.

I'm about 5 weeks into this wine. Thiefed a tasted last night.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1478082979.083584.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1478082999.601884.jpg

It's perfectly clear with decent body and excellent color. The nose, even after 15 minutes in the glass, was big on alcohol. But, I also got cherry and red berry on the nose and palate. Co2 is all but gone.

It's already (gasp) a better wine than the LE, IMO.

This will get a racking around New Years and bottling in April. I'll taste it again at racking to see if it could use anything more. Maybe tannin riche extra... we'll see.

Racked my batch to carboy this morning @ ~1.000 and stole a taste.... This stuff is really good now so looking forward to it! May have to get another run of this if still available....

View attachment 32238View attachment 32239

It's perfectly clear with decent body and excellent color. The nose, even after 15 minutes in the glass, was big on alcohol. But, I also got cherry and red berry on the nose and palate. Co2 is all but gone.

It's already (gasp) a better wine than the LE, IMO.

This will get a racking around New Years and bottling in April. I'll taste it again at racking to see if it could use anything more. Maybe tannin riche extra... we'll see.

Jim, I have this kit sitting in my office, waiting to start it after I have some skins from this years grape batches. To me, in the picture, the wine looks a little light in color and thin in body. Is that an accurate assessment? I'm asking because I'm trying to decide which skins to use, and how much of them. The color makes me think of using the Petit Sirah skins, plus they'll add some body and tannins. What do you think based on what you are tasting there?

Jim, I have this kit sitting in my office, waiting to start it after I have some skins from this years grape batches. To me, in the picture, the wine looks a little light in color and thin in body. Is that an accurate assessment? I'm asking because I'm trying to decide which skins to use, and how much of them. The color makes me think of using the Petit Sirah skins, plus they'll add some body and tannins. What do you think based on what you are tasting there?

Compared to the LE14 Super Tuscan, there is more body and flavor with deeper color. The Bravado didn't strike me as thin or light at all. Where I was (and still am) a little frustrated with the LE, I don't feel the same way about the Bravado.

But, to be fair, I haven't had too many Super Tuscans in my time. I have one of BBJim's RJS Super's in my basement that's been calling to me. I plan to compare my LE14 with his RJS some night soon. My guess is that, since the RJS was a more complete kit (more skins and oak), it will be a more substantial wine. I can compare that to a taster from the Bravado, too.

I'm saving my PS skins for the next Zin kit that I do... can't help but think they'll mash up unbelievably well. The Bravado is Sangiovese/Cab/Merlot. The Cab and Merlot, like the Zin, seem like naturals. I'm just not so sure about the Sangiovese, though.

If you do it, you may have to change the name to "Super-Duper Tuscan."

Compared to the LE14 Super Tuscan, there is more body and flavor with deeper color. The Bravado didn't strike me as thin or light at all. Where I was (and still am) a little frustrated with the LE, I don't feel the same way about the Bravado.

But, to be fair, I haven't had too many Super Tuscans in my time. I have one of BBJim's RJS Super's in my basement that's been calling to me. I plan to compare my LE14 with his RJS some night soon. My guess is that, since the RJS was a more complete kit (more skins and oak), it will be a more substantial wine. I can compare that to a taster from the Bravado, too.

I'm saving my PS skins for the next Zin kit that I do... can't help but think they'll mash up unbelievably well. The Bravado is Sangiovese/Cab/Merlot. The Cab and Merlot, like the Zin, seem like naturals. I'm just not so sure about the Sangiovese, though.

If you do it, you may have to change the name to "Super-Duper Tuscan."

Very interesting.......... I'll have the skins from 10 gallons of merlot must, as well as the skins from 50 gallons of cab, so I'm sure I can do a little something to boost the Bravado juice to a new stratosphere. I appreciate your input, it'll help me decide what to do to it. BTW, that's my new gig, I'm not gonna do a kit unless I have real grape skins to add to it, it's made a huge difference in the Fourtitude kit as well as a couple of others. Thanks again for the info.

Very interesting.......... I'll have the skins from 10 gallons of merlot must, as well as the skins from 50 gallons of cab, so I'm sure I can do a little something to boost the Bravado juice to a new stratosphere. I appreciate your input, it'll help me decide what to do to it. BTW, that's my new gig, I'm not gonna do a kit unless I have real grape skins to add to it, it's made a huge difference in the Fourtitude kit as well as a couple of others. Thanks again for the info.

I'll keep you posted. But, if I had a choice, I'd probably drop the merlot skins in there before the PS.

Last edited:
Racked it on Saturday @ SG .995 to a carboy with an airlock. Still getting a good "glug" out of the air lock every once in a while. Thinking about Tannin Complex for aging and Tannin Riche before bottling. Thoughts?

jgmann67, did you use the included Bentonite and the Chitosan packets?

I used one of the Bentonites and am thinking about not adding the Chitosan and letting this clear over the next year where I rack and add K-meta every 3-4 months.

Racked and added included French Oak and 3 oz of American Oak cubes (Medium) SG was 0.994.

jgmann67, did you use the included Bentonite and the Chitosan packets?

I used one of the Bentonites and am thinking about not adding the Chitosan and letting this clear over the next year where I rack and add K-meta every 3-4 months.

Yes, I did. I usually follow the instructions up to the clearing stage, then skip the sorbate and save the oak for bulk aging.

But, I think you're fine with your idea. I might do kmeta every 3 months and not let it go to 4. But, that's me.

It hit me in the shower this morning. Both the PS and Merlot were inoculated with VP41 during alcoholic fermentation, so presumably, the frozen cakes have MLB in them. I guess I will be MLF'ing the Bravado if/when the bacteria kicks back into gear.

This doesn't really worry me from an acid / balance standpoint, as I believe that I'm able to handle that aspect of the ferment. What does concern me is that I don't know if the manufacturer uses sorbate in the preparation of their juice kits. It would be a bummer to have to dump a whole batch, but the decision has been made to press on............

It hit me in the shower this morning. Both the PS and Merlot were inoculated with VP41 during alcoholic fermentation, so presumably, the frozen cakes have MLB in them. I guess I will be MLF'ing the Bravado if/when the bacteria kicks back into gear.

This doesn't really worry me from an acid / balance standpoint, as I believe that I'm able to handle that aspect of the ferment. What does concern me is that I don't know if the manufacturer uses sorbate in the preparation of their juice kits. It would be a bummer to have to dump a whole batch, but the decision has been made to press on............

John - I used D254 in my primary and didn't start the MLF until after pressing. I'd check with WE to see what they say about doing an MLF on this kit. But, if it's an issue at all, I have a gallon bag of PS skins you can have.

Latest posts

Back