Ruined yeast?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJH89

Reaction score
Bought 10 packs of yeast from my local brew shop andcompletely forgot about it and left it in my truck while I stopped inside the dmv for an hour and then had lunch for an hour, immediately took it home and put in the fridge once I realized what I did. You think it's any good still? I live in Texas. Probably in the 80s those days...

Two answers
* if the windows were down you are close to 80-85 F and it wouldn’t be much different than buying yeast on the internet, , , no problem!
* with the windows up in the sun you could be 130 to 150, higher temp is harder on yeast and will start killing it, As a chem problem we would say reaction (kill) is double for every 20 degree temp increase. ,,, note reactions are time related. As a county health department view 160 F prevents cell growth and wI’ll measurably reduce viability.
Dry yeast is more stable than actively growing yeast so I agree with Craig’s approach of doing a starter which will encourage the yeast to revive and reproduce. Not a lot lost in trying it.

Back