Ruby Red

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

upper

Reaction score
JUst recieved 66 pounds of Ruby Red Wine grapes.Anyone have any tips on how to best use them.I can de-stem,crush,juice only,freeze.I am back to the store to get a hydromerter tommorow.Any advice or recipes would be appreciated...Upper

I misspelled it is Rubired,a california hybred with both red skin and red juice.Says wine lacks body and charactor,yippie......Upper

Sorry can't help as I've never heard of it.. if the grape is listed as lacking body and character.. it sounds like a blend of grapejuice and something else would be a good thing.. Have you considered buying a fruitbase kit such as those cans of blackberry concentrate or elderberry perhaps.. and coming up with a suitable combination of flavours to adjust it to your taste? I know you can also buy cans of concentrate in a varietal.. maybe add a can or two of cab sauv base to up the body and throw some more tannin and oak into the mix.

I'm not sure what your budget is, or how much freezer room you have. I see that raspberries.. blackberries and elderberries seem to grow wild for the picking over there.

To improve body in a fruit wine.. I use the juice of boiled bananas.. it will impart a smooth mouthfeel to your wine also. You can also add dark raisins.. and I have used dried dates too ( which I particularly liked when added to a berry based wine).

If you have free fruit.. experiment with it.. after all, the person that wrote 'rubired lacks body and character' may only enjoy complex, tannin heavy wines.. That may not be your preference... work with what you have.

Personally, I prefer to fiddle with ingredients.. it's a lot more interesting than kits.

Allie

Thanks Allie,I crushed the rubireds and the starting SG is 1.092 straight grapes.I am sure I will use it somewhere,somehow,and it will be a plus in the cellar.Today I was given 60 lbs of Ruby Cabernet,a little better but still a blender.Oh well if you got-em crush-em.......Upper

I think Allie nailed it as a blender and would be great with a Blackberry or Black Currant.

Latest posts

Back