rubber grommets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to convert some of my juice bucket covers to accept an air lock. I bought a package years ago but I don't remember where and they seem small. I was experimenting with a drill size and a 1/2" bit seems to work for the grommets I have and a 1/4" OD hose fits snug. When I compared mine to a fermenting bucket with a grommet already installed, it seemed larger. Just about a 3/4" OD. Where do most of you get them?

Some juice buckets have a raised circular wall that surrounds the hole. That will have to be removed if using the grommets Fred mentioned.

Or you can spend five minutes of frustration trying to fit the grommet. Colorful language is optional.

What size drill bit? Can you get a clean hole?
I purchase pre-drilled stoppers. For purpose made primary fermenters, #3 stoppers fit the hole.

In a thread earlier today, a table of stopper dimensions was posted. Unfortunately, I can't recall which one, but it was posted in the last couple hours.

Some juice buckets have a raised circular wall that surrounds the hole. That will have to be removed if using the grommets Fred mentioned.

Or you can spend five minutes of frustration trying to fit the grommet. Colorful language is optional.
Yes I am familiar with that raised part. A very sharp mat knife is required.

I have drilled lids to accept rubber stoppers with holes for bubblers/airlock. A trick I learned from a tradesman is, when cutting plastic barrels, to use a hole saw but run it backwards. This scores the plastic much more evenly and lets you control the cut with less tear-out. I think 1.25" or 1.5" is close, but would need to check. Don't use a regular twist bit or spade bit. These will rip the plastic and leave a non-airtight edge on the whole. A Forstner bit might work also.

Latest posts

Back