Rubber bung taste!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shouldn't even throw my .02 cents in because I know noting, but... I read an article the other day on TCA tainted "corked" wines that some folks have had good luck repairing the taste of these wines by "putting wadded up Saran Wrap into the bottle for a prolonged period of time. The theory is that some plastics like that included in the wrap will absorb the TCA more readily than the wine itself, effectively filtering the contaminant from the wine." Would anyone here believe this method might apply to "Bung Taint"?

That's a different problem from the burnt rubber smell. It is an entirely different smell. Cork taint smells more like wet cardboard. Most people don't even recognize it as TCA, so they drink the wine anyway, thinking it is just not a very tasty wine. I also have heard of the Saran Wrap trick for TCA, I just have never tried it.

What was the verdict in this thread? Was it sulfur, or the bung? I'm interested in knowing because I had three batches with that same smell.

What was the verdict in this thread? Was it sulfur, or the bung? I'm interested in knowing because I had three batches with that same smell.

It seems that the verdict of this 2012 thread was mixed results. I have the same experience as @jswordy . Had some batches of wine that were fermented, cleared, etc. and aged in 6 gallon carboys, and a couple of gallons went into 1 gallon glass jugs with rubber bungs. The one gallons stink and taste just like the stinky rubber bungs. I read this thread back when I was noticing the stinky rubber bung smell / flavor.

The carboys are still wonderful, the rubber bung jugs had their stoppers replaced with silicone several months ago and I haven't checked them again. I threw away all of my rubber bungs and will never allow another into my home.

It seems that the verdict of this 2012 thread was mixed results. I have the same experience as @jswordy . Had some batches of wine that were fermented, cleared, etc. and aged in 6 gallon carboys, and a couple of gallons went into 1 gallon glass jugs with rubber bungs. The one gallons stink and taste just like the stinky rubber bungs. I read this thread back when I was noticing the stinky rubber bung smell / flavor.

The carboys are still wonderful, the rubber bung jugs had their stoppers replaced with silicone several months ago and I haven't checked them again. I threw away all of my rubber bungs and will never allow another into my home.

YUP. I never use those gallon rubber bungs anymore. One time was enough!

We have alcohol vapors and SO2 gas so why would a reaction with the rubber be a surprise.

Had the same problem - ONCE - Stopped using the cheap rubber bungs. All I use now are the plastic airlock caps or Plastic screw on caps with a plastic liner.

Sorry to hear about that problem.

Racked, sulfite, and added some oak to the jugs that used to have rubber bungs in them. Good news, after a few months with the new silicone bungs in them, no rubber taste or smell remains. These wines now taste like the parent carboy wine.

Gotta believe that it's certain types of rubber that reacts with the gasses from the wine, OR you have the dreaded H2S monster.

Where do you run across silicone bungs?
Thanks
Dawg

QUOTE=Johnd;634776]It seems that the verdict of this 2012 thread was mixed results. I have the same experience as @jswordy . Had some batches of wine that were fermented, cleared, etc. and aged in 6 gallon carboys, and a couple of gallons went into 1 gallon glass jugs with rubber bungs. The one gallons stink and taste just like the stinky rubber bungs. I read this thread back when I was noticing the stinky rubber bung smell / flavor.

The carboys are still wonderful, the rubber bung jugs had their stoppers replaced with silicone several months ago and I haven't checked them again. I threw away all of my rubber bungs and will never allow another into my home.[/QUOTE]

Where do you run across silicone bungs?
Thanks
Dawg

QUOTE=Johnd;634776]It seems that the verdict of this 2012 thread was mixed results. I have the same experience as @jswordy . Had some batches of wine that were fermented, cleared, etc. and aged in 6 gallon carboys, and a couple of gallons went into 1 gallon glass jugs with rubber bungs. The one gallons stink and taste just like the stinky rubber bungs. I read this thread back when I was noticing the stinky rubber bung smell / flavor.

[/QUOTE]

They are available from MoreWine, Austin Homebrew, Williams, probably a bunch more if you do a web search. Got 'em on every vessel I own that doesn't have active gas production. Love em.

BTW, the taste is not due to a reaction between SO2 and the bungs. The bungs smell right out of the bag they were bought in. You can wash them and they will smell better, but the stink is in them through and through. I have some now - years after I bought them - that I have never used because of my taste lesson. They STILL stink.

Silicone is the way to go with bungs. They also make a lab grade black bung that does not smell, but it is as pricey or pricier than silicone. I wish suppliers would stop selling the white bungs all together if they are selling stinkers.

If you age your wine under airlock a looooong time, you stand the chance of getting rid of the bung taste. Your mileage may vary...

I agree with Jim, the typical rubber bungs sold for many years are vulcanized with sulfur containing compounds, so these compounds are molded into the bung and can be continuously released. I have noticed some being worse than others, so I'm sure the manufacturing process and QC etc. makes a big difference on the final product. To me, smell is one of the best tests at my disposal, my wine doesn't contact anything that doesn't smell right.

Think I need to get the rubber bungs I have (Stink Emitting Variety) and get them out of bag where I have my universal bungs (drilled) Don't want any of that smell transferring.

Not long now until basement warms up enough to start my wine making again. I've decided to run this as a seasonal hobby letting the natural temp changes help me with the wine aging and clearing process.

Latest posts

Back