Rubber Bung In MY WINE!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdaniels9

Junior
Reaction score
So, I have two carboys. Both my wines (first two ive made) are just about done. I ended up with a stuck rubber bung in my first batch, so now there is FOREVER a rubber bung in my carboy.

My second batch I also pushed another one through by accident. It will be getting bottled in a couple days though.

So Batch #1 has had the rubber bung in it for about 2 weeks and Batch #2 will only be subject to the bung for a couple days.

Do you think the rubber bung in the carboys will make my wine taste like rubber? Do you think I will be able to reuse the carboys or will the bungs always make bad batches of wine?

Do you think I could add something that would break the rubber down and dissolve it so I can reuse the carboys?

to get a cork out of a bottle that is pushed into the bottle, you get a plastic shopping bag, push it down into the bottle, turn the bottle upside down so the cork is laying beside the bag, then blow into the bag. the bag will inflate in the bottle and trap the cork. pull the bag out and the cork will come with it. I wonder if you would do something similar with a bung?

I heard about that, I hope it works. If it does not work, find another way to get it out, I don't know how, Maybe a cork screw.:slp

So, I have two carboys. Both my wines (first two ive made) are just about done. I ended up with a stuck rubber bung in my first batch, so now there is FOREVER a rubber bung in my carboy.

My second batch I also pushed another one through by accident. It will be getting bottled in a couple days though.

So Batch #1 has had the rubber bung in it for about 2 weeks and Batch #2 will only be subject to the bung for a couple days.

Do you think the rubber bung in the carboys will make my wine taste like rubber? Do you think I will be able to reuse the carboys or will the bungs always make bad batches of wine?

Do you think I could add something that would break the rubber down and dissolve it so I can reuse the carboys?

The plastic bag method will work on a rubber bung as i have done it successfully many times!

Dan R

Good to know Dan since I have the same problem but I haven't emptied the carboy yet to get it out and try that method .If you look down below in the similar threads yuo will see one I posted last week & someone showed me the link to the you tube video .

Here is the link to watch how it works and it does. Ive never used it on a bung but I know that bungs will slip into a carboy much easier then a cork will!!!!!!!!!! I have heard some people complain that thier rubber bing did give their wine a rubber taste but have heard many that didnt so who knows but I bet youll tell us.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL1ovAYtKuQ[/ame]

From what I have experienced, some bungs smell more of rubber than others do. I have some gallon sized ones I need to be careful with. If they are on the jug long, when you remove it and take a smell- it smells like rubber. It seems to be just in the neck, but I would like to get replacements and avoid possible contamination. I vote for getting them out ASAP.

Latest posts

Back