Round Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sly22guy

Reaction score
Ive seen so mention around about round up. is this ok to use around my vines. they are in blue x vine shelters with mounds at the bottom of each vine is it ok to use as long as i dont spray the mound? is there a better product? any suggestions would be helpful. ive been collecting rocks from around the property to use as a mulch between the vines, but there is still a good bit of weeds and its not easy to keep up with.

Shaklee sells an organic do-all called 'Basic H2' that some people have used to control weeds. I personally have never used it, but here's a snippet from a shaklee blog:

Chris says:
May 23, 2010 at 10:16 pm
I just purchased my first bottle…I’ve been told you can used this as a spray for vegetable plants…ie bug deterent..fertilizer. I can’t find information on how much to use…

Kimberley says:
June 9, 2010 at 10:32 pm
* Fertilizer: 2 to 3 drops of Basic H2 per quart of water. Use once
a week. Don’t over do it.
* Weed Killer: 1/2 tbsp. of Basic H2 and 1/2 cup of Vinegar to a
gallon of water. Put in a Spray bottle and use.

I DO NOT KNOW if this is safe around the vines, BUT a couple weeks ago I did some work for a friend of mine who owns a mini storage. He had me use this round up in front of the "doors" to the individual units.

2 days later the sheet was gone.

I dont think I would want to use it around my grape vines, but, as far as "geneal" weeds, I was quite impressed.

i would not use it by it round up will kill anything maybe one day Monsanto will come out with roundup ready grape vines

I would NOT use anything around my vines. Even if it didn't kill your vines the roots are slowly drinking that stuff which means so will you.

Use mulch/ organic if possible. Keep it off of the vines to help protect them from moles and rot.

I hear that mulch is a bad thing to use as it retains moisture. Thats why im using rocks, just dont have enough yet. Id really like to hear from those that have vineyards and what they use.

I have mulch around my vines but away from the trunks. Never had a problem. I water my vines almost daily. A slow and steady trickle.

I use round up all the time around my house. It usually takes a few weeks to totally kill. I selectively use it in the garden around plants. Ensure you do not get anything on the leaves and this includes mist if there is a breeze. Most of the vineyards are using some sort of an herbicide around here and I am in the heart of the wineries. I am not saying they use round up but I would check with your growers association or ag coop.

Agway sells a house product called KleenUp. Same stuff but half price.

The situation you speak of is perfect for using any glyphosate product (Roundup or equivalent generic). Since you have grow tubes on, you can spray right up to the vines. If the spray doesn't touch the vine, it is fine. It acts by contact as it is absorbed into active growing green plant tissue. From there it is translocated to the roots, where it kills the weeds. One of the best times to apply it is next spring after the perennial weeds and grasses have begun to grow, but the vine is still inactive. You can spray right up to the vine, since by then it will be barky near the ground. That will kill all the weeds and grasses it touches, getting you off to a good start.

Good luck with it and the vines.

there are more than 1 kind of round-up. There is one that will kill everything for a year. do your research.

I was at a wine tasting here in Nebraska at a place called Nissen and they held it right in the vineyard and you could tell that he had used a chemical spray around his vines so I asked about it and he had used round up he calm that it won't kill the vines but it still scares me

You are most welcome sly22guy.

Also what madmikes states is somewhat true. Use only Roundup or Roundup Max or generics - do not use Roundup Extended use. That contains another herbicide which may not be safe to grapes.

I use a generic round up (contains 2 4 D) throughout the growing season and as long as the spray does not come in contact with the leaves you're safe.

DO NOT USE THE ROUNDUP WITH 2,4-D, IT IS NOT SAFE FOR GRAPES.

The glyphosate part is safe but the 2,4-D is highly toxic to grapes. The vapors that are given off by it affect the vines and can travel many hundreds or thousands of feet to cause damage. Never use 2,4-D products anywhere near grape vines. If you have used it with no damage, you are lucky. It causes the leaves to curl and develop fingerlike projections on the leaf edges. The vines will eventually grow out of it, but the damage can be severe.

Check this link out for more basic information
http://ipcm.wisc.edu/WCMNews/tabid/53/EntryId/696/Be-Aware-of-Grapes-and-2-4-D-Drift.aspx

Last edited:
Guess I'm just lucky but I've been applying the spray for 10+ yrs. without a problem.

Are you sure it has 2,4-D in it? There are many generic forms of Roundup and they all contain glyphosate, not 2,4-D and are vry safe as long as you don't spray onto the vine. Check your label and see what the active ingredient is and let us know.

Just checked the label and sure enough no 2,4 D. You were right, glyphosate is the active ingregient...MY MISTAKE.

Latest posts

Back