Round Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several effective treatments for them Svein works well, but if you want to use organic DE works for them also. I'm not sure Stylet oil will suffocate them, which is the general mode of action for it.

A surfactant in this case generally just helps the active ingredient "stick" to the leaves, thereby making it a little more effective. Some home gardeners/lawn freaks will add a surfactant to herbicides to help them stick to weeds that would otherwise be "slippery". Often for Joe Homeonwer, that surfactant might be as simple as a little dish soap.

Good, so it's as safe as Round up then, I kinda figured that was what it was, but better safe than sorry. I went ahead and bought it.

I use glyphosate around my vines, no issues. Don't get it on the green part.

Make sure it's not the type that contains 2,4D. A few years back someone in my neighborhood sprayed their lawn; I could smell it in the air. A couple days later, the leaves on my first row of vines facing the neighborhood curled. Fortunately they recovered.

I talked to my next door neighbor who runs a lawncare business and does all the spraying in the area; he now avoids spraying when the wind is blowing towards my vineyard. And I planed a row of redbuds upwind of my vines to help catch any spray before it gets to them.

I use round up or it's geric equivalent all of the time around my grape and muscadine vines. Just make sure you don't hit any of the vine leaves. I have been using it for years. Do not use Clean up it can mess up your soil, round up will not.

I visited a winery a couple weeks ago. It was obvious they had used something around the vines so I asked and they said it was Round Up. These vines are pretty old and he explained that the roots were so deep that Round Up really isn't an issue unless you are sloppy and get it on the vine. They generally spray just as the buds start coming out. I am no expert here, but just wanted to share some that I heard from someone who is.

I haven't seen these studies. Can you cite some of them?

Latest posts

Back