Round Up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes me feel better. 2,4-D kills or injures more vines than any sprays out there. It can cause damage miles away under the right atmospheric conditions.

OK, now can you tell me if there is a herbicide on the market that is safe to spray around blackberry vines?

A friend with a vinyard has his plants in an old corn field where 2 4 D was used and still in a constant fight to keep them growing years later.:rdo

Doing some research found Rely, its designed for fruit trees and grape and berry crops. Not too good on young plants, but some reading says it can be used for killing suckers with out harming the parent plant. Still working on more info before I begin use of it.

http://www.plantmanagementnetwork.org/pub/cm/news/2010/Rely280/

If any one has some experence with this stuff let me know.

Since I live in farm country, I will pass on a bit of advise on Roundup.

You can buy the roundup pump and spray for $15-20 It contains about 1% glyphosate. If you look around you can pick up a smaller bottle of roundup that contains 40% glyphosphate ( It is Purple or Red) costs about $50. You can put this in a pump sprayer with the appropriate amount of water and dilute it down to 1-2%. It will save you a ton of money in the long run.

Generally you want roundup on the leaves of the plants that you want to kill, I have never used it around grapes, but have used it in very close proximity of expensive plants I want to keep with no ill effects.

lol this post is over a year old. But yeah all of the info still holds true! Good info on the smaller bottles of round up 40% is that just the concentrate?

I use it (roundup) on mine. I go through the vineyard and strip everything green from the trunk starting at the ground and going up 2 feet before spraying. You can't get it on any green growth or the vine will take it up.

Roundup is actually quite safe around grapes. Don't get it on green tissue and no problem. Don't spray in windy conditions and it is quite safe.

Id really like to hear from those that have vineyards and what they use.

With my first set up I used mulch and made two long rows with a brick boarder. Looked great, and easy to maintain and mow/weed whack around. The following year my vines were INFESTED with these really cool looking metallic blue beetles. When I attempted to catch them for closer inspection and to identify what they were I noticed they would bounce off the vine much like a flea.. turns out I was dealing with the Flea beetle. During the winter months they live in the mulch and in early spring they come to life and feed on the first buds of plant matter growing on the previous year’s wood. Once identification of the beetle was confirmed, "Battle:BV" (Backyard Vineyard) was on. I will save that story for another thread. ::

If you are going to use mulch, watch for insects that might use it as a home. I’m going to stones this spring.:)

No Doug - it is the Steely beetle or commonly known as the flea beetle because of their backwards sprining action like a flea. Japanese beetles are a greenish blue and brown like you show and are also about 50 times as large. Flea beetles are 10 times more destructive to crop than are the Japanese beetle because they feed right before budbreak and hollow the bud out - getting rid of all blooms in that bud. The go right along the shoots and canes like you eating an ear of corn. They can destroy a whole years crop in a day or two. Japanese beetles feed on the leaves and make a lot of holes so it is more cosmetic than anything else.

Grapeman is correct.. And what leaves you do get growing on your vine will become infested with the beetle larva worms.

thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

Last edited:
With my first set up I used mulch and made two long rows with a brick boarder. Looked great, and easy to maintain and mow/weed whack around. The following year my vines were INFESTED with these really cool looking metallic blue beetles. When I attempted to catch them for closer inspection and to identify what they were I noticed they would bounce off the vine much like a flea.. turns out I was dealing with the Flea beetle. During the winter months they live in the mulch and in early spring they come to life and feed on the first buds of plant matter growing on the previous year’s wood. Once identification of the beetle was confirmed, "Battle:BV" (Backyard Vineyard) was on. I will save that story for another thread. ::

If you are going to use mulch, watch for insects that might use it as a home. I’m going to stones this spring.:)

What solution finally worked in getting rid of them?

Last year I used a chemical spray I bought from Ace that was ok to use on plant matter you later intend to eat. After the discovery of this forum, however, this year I will be using the JMS oil.

Back