Round 4 Apple "wine"?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanielW

Reaction score
7-1-17

6 gallons Tree Top Apple juice
Fermintis SafCider yeast
.5 tsp Wyeast wine nutrient.
3 cups sugar

OG 1.060

Because I'm special. I miss read my hydrometer. I read the Brix as SG.
Guess it's just another cider.

What's wrong with cider? Mind you I wouldn't expect that a commercial source of juice prepared for sweet apple juice will result in a great cider but if this is what DanielW likes then no quarrel from me. But he may want to check the TA and the check on the tannin level (by taste) - I suspect that the TA may be way off balance if this is fermented dry and there may be insufficient tannins in this juice...

I second what dralarms wrote. Hit it with some more sugar while still in early stages of fermenting. That will get it close to what you were trying for in the beginning.

What's wrong with cider? Mind you I wouldn't expect that a commercial source of juice prepared for sweet apple juice will result in a great cider but if this is what DanielW likes then no quarrel from me. But he may want to check the TA and the check on the tannin level (by taste) - I suspect that the TA may be way off balance if this is fermented dry and there may be insufficient tannins in this juice...

Nothing wrong with cider but I have 6 gallons going now already. I am practicing with juice trying to get the process before actual cider season hits. Im doing the same with making wine from juice so when I can get grapes I have a better idea what to expect.

It's too late for this, but my approach would be to make six 1 gallon batches if this was practice rather than one 6 gallon batch. You could then experiment by controlling for temperature, or yeast, or acidity, or final sweetness, or ABV, for example . Experiments would require controlling for all variables but one so six batches would be too few for such a powerful experiment but making multiple serial batches would allow you to see how even a small change in say ambient temperature might affect the final product

Latest posts

Back