Mosti Mondiale Round 3 is a Meglioli!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FunkedOut

Reaction score
I managed to pick up a Chilean Malbec Meglioli kit for a good price on a sale that Homebrew Ohio was having.
My first kit was a an RJS Chilean Malbec that I just bottled.
My second kits were 3 of the Three Moons Cabernet Sav's; each with a different yeast for blending.
I performed an 8 week EM on these 3 and really like the results, compared to the first kit where I racked off the skins before dry.

This third kit does not come with skins, but it comes with a pack of raisins.
The raising are large, seedless and taste just like raisins.
It comes with no oak either.

I added FT Rouge per the max recommended amount, added the raisins and just pitched some RP15 yeast.
I was planning on performing an 8 week EM on this kit as well.

The raisins are basically grape skins with no stems or seeds.
I cannot imagine any harm coming from the extended contact.
But being totally green at this, I figured I would ask...

Is there a boogey man hiding in the raisins?
Should I rack off sooner than the 8 weeks?

By the way, this bag of juice had about a cup more than 6 gallons in it.
Measured 1.098.
After soaking the raisins for 2 hours, I measured 1.099.

I managed to pick up a Chilean Malbec Meglioli kit for a good price on a sale that Homebrew Ohio was having.
My first kit was a an RJS Chilean Malbec that I just bottled.
My second kits were 3 of the Three Moons Cabernet Sav's; each with a different yeast for blending.
I performed an 8 week EM on these 3 and really like the results, compared to the first kit where I racked off the skins before dry.

This third kit does not come with skins, but it comes with a pack of raisins.
The raising are large, seedless and taste just like raisins.
It comes with no oak either.

I added FT Rouge per the max recommended amount, added the raisins and just pitched some RP15 yeast.
I was planning on performing an 8 week EM on this kit as well.

The raisins are basically grape skins with no stems or seeds.
I cannot imagine any harm coming from the extended contact.
But being totally green at this, I figured I would ask...

Is there a boogey man hiding in the raisins?
Should I rack off sooner than the 8 weeks?

By the way, this bag of juice had about a cup more than 6 gallons in it.
Measured 1.098.
After soaking the raisins for 2 hours, I measured 1.099.
This kit makes GREAT wine. Treat the raisins like you’ve been treating the grape packs from previous kits. In a general sense, you shouldn’t experience any wrong doing from the dried fruit.

Remember to add time to the instructions. In other words, don’t get in a hurry to progress to subsequent steps.

Onward...

I just pitched QA23 on a Finger Lakes Riesling Meglioli this afternoon. It contained white raisins. I’m going to leave it in the primary for 4 weeks. I know Whites don’t need a EM but overall it will be a much easier process to just let it go completely dry in the primary and skip the racking.

Wow!!! This kit is super foamy!
I had my first overflow that went everywhere!
Came right over the top of the 7.5 gallon (measured volume) fermonster and managed to spray out from the very, very loosely threaded cap.

I do not think it is the RP15 yeast.
Must temp has been kept down to 68*F-70*F.
OG hit 1.100 and it's only 1.095 right now.

I think it's this juice that is extremely foamy.
Just pouring the juice bag in the fermentor created several inches of dense foam; much more than any other kit I've made.
Is that a result this being 100% juice vs concentrate?

I have it without a lid now and a couple of paper towels (soaked in sanitizer) draped over the top.
Put the whole thing in a garbage bag too.

Looks like things have calmed down in the foamy department.
Fermentation is still going very strong and rigorous. Measured 1.065 @ 76*F.
Lots of bubbles coming to the surface, but they pop on the surface instead of building foam as before.
Added second half dose of Fermaid K and hoping for the best...

After a slow start, and a super foamy phase, attenuation is going strong.
1.018 as day 5 nears completion.
Fermenter is all sealed up now with airlock.
Thermowell in place to keep the bag of raisins submerged.

Not sure how long to keep this EM going for.
8 weeks has turned out well, but raisins....

I chickened out and racked it off the raisins at 2 weeks.
I feared having 30 bottles of raisin flavored wine.
I gave them a really good squeeze and put them in a ziplock bag, and into the deep freeze they went for an unidentified future use.

RP15 got down to 0.994.
I sulfited, degassed and used the clearing agents that came with the kit.
I will taste it in a few weeks and decide on wether or not to oak it. This kit came with no oak.

I chickened out and racked it off the raisins at 2 weeks.
I feared having 30 bottles of raisin flavored wine.
I gave them a really good squeeze and put them in a ziplock bag, and into the deep freeze they went for an unidentified future use.

RP15 got down to 0.994.
I sulfited, degassed and used the clearing agents that came with the kit.
I will taste it in a few weeks and decide on wether or not to oak it. This kit came with no oak.

I've done bunches of the Meglioli kits, they've been my favorite kits and have always produced very nice wines, though they do take some time to develop. All of mine were also barrel aged in 6 gal Vadai barrels. Good Malbec wine should have dark fruit flavors like plum, black cherry, blackberry or black currants, they're probably trying to get some of that deep flavor out of the raisins to give it that dark edge, but I'm with you on the raisin pulling, wouldn't want to overdo it. Raisin taste is wonderful in certain wines, particularly in an Amarone. Hope yours comes out awesome!!!

Going to get the Meglioli Riesling out of the primary tonight. It’s been a little over 2 weeks. The QA23 did a great job. Been at .992 for 2 days. Smells fantastic.

Latest posts

Back