Rotten-Egg Smell in Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're already doing practically everything I would. The only real difference is that I would add OptiRED. Since you don't have easy access to home wine making supplies, I doubt you'll be able to find it in a time frame that would be helpful.

My advice... Don't worry, be happy! It'll either turn out fine in the end and you'll enjoy some good wine, or it won't and it will be a good learning experience.

What do you mean by OptiRED ?

Is that a fining agent ?

How do you know that it would solve the Problem ?!

Last Night I read some threads in some other Forums about using Bread Yeast in Wine making and

most of them have had the same Problem and the Wine has come out awful and terrible at the end .

Hector

Do a search for "OptiRED". It's made from dead yeast cells and is intended to improve mouth feel. However, it works moderately well at removing H2S. Used in combination with splash racking, stirring with a copper rod, etc., you can take a wine from offensive to just slightly off.

Ph 3.0? It sounds too low. I checked factory made wines for ph and it's about 3.6 ~ 3.7. Why would you make the juice it so sour? Is it possible the yeast was struggling in highly acidic environment? Also, if ph is so low your sulfide level should be lower, I mean, you might creating a very difficult environment for yeast to work.

I had a stinky pinotage, and did a lot of splash racking. That helped a bit.

I took a handful of clean and sanitized pennies, and stuck them in a mesh bag, and put in my carboy. That is a trick folks do with stinky pinotage wine, drop a penny in the glass. It helped a bit, too.

I know it's an old post but it seems I have the same problem with my 3 gal mix of cabernet sauvignon and merlot batch Just around it got around 0.99 it gave out this bad rotten smell. I've tried to splash it a few times and the smell seems to getting weaker but still there. What would you recommend? Pennies? For how long?

I would recommend using reduless - It really worked for me .
Just don't over do it = follow instructions.

As for pennies it is not that precise - and you have to make sure what year the pennies were made in as well. You already proved that adding a bit of copper helped your problem now it is gradual and time to make it drinkable. Mine took 6 months where it became almost undetectable.

I now have been using go-ferm and ferm-aid and not having any more issues because of it.

Last edited:
Thanks, it's interesting the wiki page
says "... Hydrogen sulfide often results from the bacterial breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen gas". It sounds what happened to me, I fermented in a closed bucket with an airlock.

I never have had an H2S problem I follow the more wine manual to nutrient addition

Thanks, it's interesting the wiki page
says "... Hydrogen sulfide often results from the bacterial breakdown of organic matter in the absence of oxygen gas". It sounds what happened to me, I fermented in a closed bucket with an airlock.

It is very unlikely you have bacteria in your wine. The pH and alcohol create a difficult environment, and only a handful of bacteria can survive in it.

The more likely root cause of H2S formation during your fermentation is from the yeast, but only because they had poor nutrition. You need to make sure there is adequate yeast-assimilable nitrogen (YAN) available during fermentation. This is added to your must in the form of "yeast nutrients" such as Fermaid prior to and during fermentation.

Here is a description of the process of H2S formation (from an earlier post of mine):

From my reading of the primary and secondary literature, this is my understanding of H2S production and its relation to N deficiency. Proteins are made of amino acids, and two important amino acids contain sulfur. The yeast has to provide the sulfur to form these compounds to the proper organelle during protein synthesis. It does so in the form of H2S, which it extracts from more complex sulfur-containing compounds. One organelle passes the H2S off to the organelle responsible for protein synthesis.

However, nitrogen is a major component of amino acids (hence the root amine, from ammonia.) If there is a dearth of N, the organelle responsible for synthesizing the sulfur-containing amino acid cannot do its job; this results in a surfeit of H2S, which the yeast then excretes.

As John points out, we are extraordinarily sensitive to H2S and thiols (larger SH-containing molecules). That is why they add a tiny (ppm) amount of methane thiol to your natural gas supply, so that you can smell when you have a gas leak. This is good for gas-leak detection, but the unfortunate result for winemaking is that we cannot tolerate very much H2S excretion by our pet yeasts.

Hope this helps!

I remember putting in DAP, around half of the recommended dosage in the beginning. You think this what did it? My other batches turned out to be ok, with half dosage as well.
I also remember dumping some sugar at around sg 1.02, just to get to 1.03, at that time there wasn't H2S smell, but next day, sg went down almost to .99 with rotten egg smell. I agree that yeast overworked at the end.
So, I splashed racked a few times, also I ran the wine through copper a few times. It's been two days and I think the smell is not there anymore. Will it reappear again? The batch is sitting in my cooler box at 65-68F.

I am somewhat curious why you chose to put in only half the recommended dosage? Did you have other reasons to think less was better?

No, I doubt sincerely that you will get more H2S smell during aging. It sounds like you have the problem beat!

Well, ideally I wouldn't put anything in my wine. I just wanted to have less chemicals as possible. I was afraid that the yeast wouldn't consume all DAP, and then I would have to drink it with my wine. If I put full amount, how would I know that the yeast has consumed it all?

All - I've started brewing wine (I'm a beer guy) just for the wife. The very first kit I've got in started with a nasty smell that resembles rotten eggs on day 6 of fermentation. I've racked to secondary but the smell is still there. How do I get rid of it?

Island Mist Pomegranate Zinfandel kit. Followed instructions to a tee.

Back