Other Rose

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizajean

Gaining experience one carboy at a time....
Reaction score
I'd liked to make a dry Rose kit next. Does anyone have any experience with Roses and recommendations of which one to try?
Thanks!

Most Rose kits you will find is white Zinfandel which is normally made sweet although I imagine you could tweak it to a dry one. there is a sauvignon blanc rose which is obviously white wine with a red wine f-pack. to me that is not a rose. I searched the web extensively and found a Pinot noir Rose wine kit and I beleive there is a Merlot rose out there. I would think these would be more appropriate to a true rose . However as a home wine maker blending a red with the white wine of your choice is allowed.

The Limited Release Sauv Blanc Rose' was amazing. There are no official rules as to what constitutes a Rose' by the way other than color.

There was a Cab Sauv Rose' kit that was released this past Xmas. Might stumble on one of those by chance still but unlikely.

Your best bet is the Spagnol's Rose' of Pinot Noir at the moment. If it comes with a reserve pack for sweetness just don't add or add it upfront and ferment to dry as normal. Since that is an "en Primeur" kit it should be a winner.

I'd liked to make a dry Rose kit next. Does anyone have any experience with Roses and recommendations of which one to try?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Spagnols makes a French Rose kit in the Grand Cru International line

Cellar Craft issued a LR Cabernet Sauvignon Rose that I have clearing right now. I know FineVineWines is out of stock, but you might find it elsewhere.

I think the Sauvignon Blanc Rose can be found. It is a little off-dry, but you can certainly add the f-pack into the primary and make it dry.

Syrah gets blended quite often with small amounts of Viognier. Usually only 3-5% so the resulting wine is still a big bold red wine. Syrah by itself produces an inky black wine that you almost can't see through so the Viognier adds another layer to the flavor profile without changing the appearance of the wine.

https://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/rq-2018/

RJS is coming out with a Shiraz Viognier for their RQ release next year. The description is Dry and Heavy Oak. It would be red and white blend though..

Syrah gets blended quite often with small amounts of Viognier. Usually only 3-5% so the resulting wine is still a big bold red wine. Syrah by itself produces an inky black wine that you almost can't see through so the Viognier adds another layer to the flavor profile without changing the appearance of the wine.

Oh, that's probably what they are doing then, I didn't figure they would even mention the Viongnier at 3-5%. So I thought it was going to blend the other way adding some color and tannin to the Viognier producing a blush.

Thanks!

I just did the rjs frech rose, its ok, its only a 12 liter kit though, id be more inclined to do passport limited edition cab sauv rose if u want a nice rose, i havent done one myself but thats the one id go for if i were to do another rose, too busy with fruit wines in the summer but i did pre-order all the rjs rq18s for this winter.

I recently did the Pinot noir rose and it was pretty good. Been bottled for about three months and is coming along well.

Spagnols makes a French Rose kit in the Grand Cru International line

Cellar Craft issued a LR Cabernet Sauvignon Rose that I have clearing right now. I know FineVineWines is out of stock, but you might find it elsewhere.

I think the Sauvignon Blanc Rose can be found. It is a little off-dry, but you can certainly add the f-pack into the primary and make it dry.

Jim, I did find the SB Rose, on Amazon, free shipping, and am going to make it. Still deciding whether to make fully dry, or off. I like dry wines, nit sweet, but hard to know just how sweet "off dry" is. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
it is not technically a Rose but a white wine blended with a red wine concentrate to resemble a rose. I have had good luck with a Pinot Noir Rose offered by RJS. hard to find but great once you have it.

While the French have strict standards for how rosé can be made the rest of the world does not. So it is what it is. A rosé wine.

it is not technically a Rose but a white wine blended with a red wine concentrate to resemble a rose. I have had good luck with a Pinot Noir Rose offered by RJS. hard to find but great once you have it.

I understand, but this did get very strong, positive reviews, so I thought I would try it. I do plan to do the Pinot Noir Rose as well and will start looking for it. Thank you for the input! I'm sure the two will be very different, and that's great!

I have the RJS Pinot Noir Rose in clearing right now. I will age 6 months after bottling. Ready for Memorial Day weekend and to enjoy throughout the summer! Hopefully it's good. It's dry which I love.

Latest posts

Back